any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any ideas

ok so i finally got my bike running today for the first time. i was a little skeptical about it but now i realized that i got an awesome deal. a bout 2 months ago my brother in-law asked me if i wanted a bike. i said sure but i couldnt afford one right now, he said it was free i just had to get it. turns out his best friend is getting deployed to Afghanistan and didnt want to pay storage fees while he was gone. so after rebuilding the carbs and buying a new batterie she fired right up today. now im in the process of getting the bike the way i want it. One i think i want to get a set of regular shocks for the back instead of the air shocks that are one it. (anyone want to trade?) and Two, Does any one have any ideas as where to remount the turn sigs,rear break lights and a license plate. im going for the bobber look any input would be great.
    1979 xs1100sf
    custom exhaust
    dragbars
    POD filters
    re-jetted carbs

http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/a...drvs/?newest=1

Hey Apndrvs,

IT might be alot easier to answer your questions if we knew what bike you have. It is very helpful if you set up your signature to indicate the year and model of 1100 you have.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

apndrvs, welcome, this is an excellent site, everyone here knows simply everything about these bikes...dgxser is an incredible wealth of knowledge! you found a great place
      1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Comment

If you have air shocks, you probably have an XJ1100. If you are going to "bob" the bike, you'll just cut everything behind the shock mount, and start over. Just go to aftermarket lights, and mount the plate on an axle mount bracket.
        Welcome to the site!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Welcome to channel 11. DaBubble did a really nice job on his bobber project. This link will take you to a page with some good shots of the rear end for lighting and license plate placement.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by 1st bike View Post
            ...dgxser is an incredible wealth of knowledge!
            Careful with those kind of compiments! Nobody will be able to talk to him. He'll think he's above us ALL.

GD&R

Comment

Hi Allen and welcome,
              the airshocks busted or are you just biased agin' them?
              There's many shock options to choose from, depends entirely on what you fancy in the way of looks & performance. The general rule with shocks (as with most else) is that you don't get what you don't pay for.
              For a bobber look, again, there's many examples to be seen in this list and on the net. Choose what you want to do and ask how to do it, then stand back for a flood of advice.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                Careful with those kind of compiments! Nobody will be able to talk to him. He'll think he's above us ALL.

GD&R
                Only if I outlive you all!! And who says I let you talk to me as is?
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

ok. sorry i know that i entered my info somewhere on here i thought it would show up i will fix that in just a min. i have a 79 xs1100sf. the shocks are still good. i just dont like the look of them.and thanks for the link of pics.
                  1979 xs1100sf
                  custom exhaust
                  dragbars
                  POD filters
                  re-jetted carbs

http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/a...drvs/?newest=1

Comment

If its a 79, the airshocks are not original. The XJ in 82 had air shocks.

Personally, I switched my 81 to airshocks, since I am a hefty guy and wanted a bit more spring before I bottom the suspension. A pleasant side effect was the improvement in ride quality. Was quite a bit more comfortable, especially after a long day on the road when every little bump hurts.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                    X