seat cover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat cover question

I just bought my first Yamaha, an '80 XS11G. Some corrosion, but not bad. The seat cover has a split down the middle. I would like to replace the cover as the foam seems OK. Checked the JCWhitney web site but they only list the S or L but not the G. Does anyone sell a cover for the G seat? What else should I be looking at before putting too many miles on it? The intake (carb to head) boots are all cracked. Looks like I'll be replacing them soon. This is my first inline 4 also. Mostly H-D v-twins. Thanks.

Dan

The PO of my bike had the seat recovered with cloth and it's really comfortable. I just hope the rain that seems to make it through my cover doesn't destroy them.
    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
    07 V-star 1100
    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Got a direct replacement for my XJ11 from these people. Just like the original. Don't know if you have a "stock" seat or something special, but they list covers for both standards and specials.

http://www.motorcycleseatcovers.com/

Company is B&H in Texas.

Bill

Comment

Thanks, I just emailed them.

DAn

Comment

I have this massive K/Q touring thing of a seat that came with my '81 H--see picture at http://www.geocities.com/bourbonstreet/7458/bike.html

Anyone else have one or see this kind of seat? Was this a factory option in '81 or is this aftermarket?

I'm desperately in need of a recovering and probably some foam work also. I kinda like the seat (most K/Q seats push me too far forward, but this one works)...suggestions?
          Tom Hunt
          Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
          1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

It is an aftermarket for sure, the wings make me think it is a Mayer Seat. I looked for them on the web and found this.....good place to start, I guess.

http://www.billmayersaddles.com/october25homepage.html
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks for the info...it got me started looking. Turns out it seems like a Russell Day-Long, complete with the spring suspension. COOL!!

I can see one of the steel bars of the wings through a hole in the cover, so I'm thinking this is definitely worth getting the work done on it that it needs...new cover and probably a bit of foam work. What's the opinion...should I send it back to Russell, or can someone else do it justice?
              Tom Hunt
              Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
              1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

Working...
              X