shovel turn custom seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shovel turn custom seat

so a few weeks ago i saw on here someone looking for some cheap solo seats. and saw some one say jokingly to just get a shovel from a hardware store and hammer it out into a custom seat. well got bored today and doing just that. went out and bought a shovel chopped the handle off and threw her in the coals and have been hammering away and when shes done to where i want it ive got some good foam pading that im gonna use. ill let you guys know how it turns out. wish me luck

good luck and let's see some pictures of the progress! i might have to try if it comes out nice.
    1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Comment

Man - I know these things are old, but this is the first time I've heard of one requiring the services of a blacksmith . Good luck with the seat.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Blueiguana86 View Post
        so a few weeks ago i saw on here someone looking for some cheap solo seats. and saw some one say jokingly to just get a shovel from a hardware store and hammer it out into a custom seat. well got bored today and doing just that.

I was actually serious. It works pretty well. Just make sure you re-temper the pan. It's not 100% necessary, but if you hit a hard bump you could bend it if it's still soft. Either heat it to blue and let it air cool(will be tough but with some springiness) or use a full heat n quench on it(careful not to go too severe or it can become brittle). Look forward to seeing your final product.

FWIW, if you want some cheaper fenders, you can use roadsigns or even some of the older thick oven tins, but that's another story!

Gluck!
        Last edited by Spider; 12-22-2009, 05:49 PM.
        1978 XS1100
        "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

Working...
        X