installing valve seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing valve seals

any one have a hot tip for installing new valve seals? head is on the bench, fully stripped,valves & seats ground. springs are like new-length, pressure ect. Only have 8 seals--really don't care to mess one up! I put bare head in the dish washer??? Really cleaned it nice!!

Coat them inside and out with motor oil!! other than that, I've not been there with an XS11 as of yet. I WILL in a month or two!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Polish up your valve stems with very fine sandpaper or 0000 steel wool so they are very smooth and coat the stems with assembly oil or some type of light grease when you put it all back together. You do not want to abrade the insides of your new seals.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

find a socket that will fit on the top of the stem seal,
        then all u need to do is push them on, real easy to do.
        i coat the seal as well as the valve stem with oil when reinstalling.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks: was hoping they would just push on. Have in the past had seals with metal jackets that had to be pressed on. I've put new seals on an 1100 before, -- back in 1978! Did extensive head work (port,polish,larger seats&larger stainless valves,milled head & changed valve timing) made a real difference-was the first one to break a driveshaft. What an honor!!
          Last edited by cycleguy; 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

BTW, the seals will install with a snap or pop or click so you'll know when they're fully seated. One more tip-a soda straw on the valve stem will reduce the possibility of tearing the new seal when pushing the valve stem through it.

Comment

Working...
            X