Virago Float Valves in 78 79 XS1100 Carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virago Float Valves in 78 79 XS1100 Carburetors

Somewhere on this forum there is a thread about using XV700, XV750 or another Virago float valve in the 78,79 xs1100 carburetors. I can never find it. If anyone knows how to find it, please post. Maybe if this post is left in the archive it will direct others to it, because it seems very hard to find.

Not sure where the thread s your speaking of, but its the XV920 float valves that interchange.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I've got the XV920 valves in mine - love 'em. The virago 750 and 920 use the same valves. You can get them at partsnmore for $8 each.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Got it thanks! Same thing. These are float valves for Hitachi carburetors. They are the same for the XV920 as the 81-87 XV750's and XV700s. I remembered they were the same as the ones I just put in a Virago 700 last winter. I went through hell trying to get a set of K&Ls to quit leaking. Turned out the needles were right, but the holes in the float valves were not the right size. They wouldn't seat. Last winter I had problems with 2 different sets of K&L float valves, but the Keysters and TourMax worked. What I don't get is that they are supposedly all made by Keyster.

Comment

I still can't find the thread. I remember there were some minor float height issues. These were solved by a thinner washer under the valve I think. Someone may have even machined the surface, don't remember now. Fastenal has some thin copper crush washers. Any other suggestion?

Comment

You can do away with the washer all together and just use teflon tape on the threads if you run into float height issues with the tab. I replaced my brass floats with plastic, and using the washer I barely had to bend the tabs at all to get them to 25.5mm. With the stockers I had the tab bent so much I had to round off the tabs so they wouldn't catch on the seat. I like the filter screen on the XV valves better too.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

THIS is the thread you are looking for. PS, 4 of the valves are ~ $35 at Z1E. The guys over at Z1E are really great.
              Last edited by 81xsproject; 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
              X