Oh Snap-transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
    With the exception of this one nut, I agree 100%. Fact was I needed to get it on there firmly and I could NOT hold the brake on while using the torque wrench on it (take both hands for the wrench, I'm not limber enough to twist around far enough to put my foot on the brake at the same time).
    Normal tie strap round the master cylinder does the trick. When you are done doing everything just cut off the tie strap.
    '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
    1196 Big Bore
    4-1 Cowley exhaust
    750FD Conversion
    Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
    Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
    BMX footpegs
    Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
    GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
    Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

"For those of us with the engine completely out of the bike with nary a wheel or a rear brake to help keep things still, how is this procedure done?"

You either leave the cover off until you put the motor back in the frame, or you find a way to jam the middle drive output w/o damaging anything.

Sometimes a well placed penny between a couple of gears can do the trick, although I can't recommend this as defacing gov't property is illegal
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

There is a special tool for holding the clutch basket so the nut can be removed with the engine on the bench. I bought one 20 years ago, when I went to use it, I twisted it into a pretzel . I ended up carefully chiseling at the nut until it collapsed. Hope you don't have to go this far. Try an air impact gun.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

With the engine out of the bike, there's still some resistance to sudden movement in the clutch pack.. that's why an impact works. I've always tightened that nut up best I can by holding it, then taken a rubber hammer to the ratchet handle. A few whacks and it's pretty darn tight. Maybe not torqued exactly correct, but I've never had a problem in all the motors I've done this way. Just make sure to bend the edge of that washer back up against the nut.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own