Another lesson learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another lesson learned

I just figured out that if your hazard lights are not functioning and you leave the hazard light switch in the on position, your turn signals will not work!

Yeah, it only took me hours of voltaeg checks and then finally tearing the switch completely apart to see how the switches and connections interwork to figure it out. So I thought I would pass this little tidbit on.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

If you had the switch apart that far, you should have been able to fix it, just making sure all the solder joints are good will do the job. When I pulled mine this week I found 3 of 5 wires were not firmly attached. I just cleaned them up and resoldered them to the switch and put it back together, then when they didn't work I pulled and cleaned the connectors on the 4 way flasher which I had ignored so far since I "knew" the switch had a problem and now everything works. I do find that the flashers don't start for about 3 seconds after I turn the 4 ways on.

Now on PGR missions I can have 4 ways just like the Hardley guys (still don't know having the pack as closed up as they do. I guess when your bike won't go fast you don't worry about being able to stop before you hit the guy in front of you.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Harley riders are bikers too ....

I guess when your bike won't go fast you don't worry about being able to stop before you hit
      Watch the video, you can see this Harley that stops faster than my XS with SS brake lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_5BwaBuA_o

mro

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
        Watch the video, you can see this Harley that stops faster than my XS with SS brake lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_5BwaBuA_o

mro

Hope he's got GOOD insurance!

Comment

Wow, now that is what I call a QUICK STOP!!

Actually, I have resoldered that stupid brown and yellow wire ten times now. The problem is that the copper top the wire is supposed to solder to pulled off it long ago. So now there is barely a small round silver looking thing sticking up almost like a rivet or something. The copper round nub that is on the back of the board is actualy starting to pull through. So, I am not going to screw with it anymore. Burned my fingers and the plastic around it enough.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
          X