Saddlebags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddlebags

Any Sugestions on after marketSaddlebags that bolt on to a 81 XS 1100SH Special?
    81 XS1100SH Special
    80 Honda CBX Supersport

If your interested in leather

Check this out.........

http://www.jillianleather.com/Images...cts/LUMSET.jpg

Here's the site..........

http://www.jillianleather.com/index.php?p=home

Comment

That is certainly and option,what about hard bags?
      81 XS1100SH Special
      80 Honda CBX Supersport

Comment

These might work for you.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...lebags-XS1100-

Comment

Sorry that didn't work.

Ebay item # 250544822104

Comment

Thanks to a fellow XSer that lives by me, he told me about a company out of canada that makes some good items. I just bought a set of bags, a tail roll so i can carry my rifles/ shotguns( live in texas and hunt in louisiana), and a tank bag all for around 150 shipped. Go to ebay and look up MOTOPAK. They have a lot of good deals with there stuff on there. Picked up the bags for 88, tank bag for 25 and the roll for 8. Plus shipping.
            Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
            1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
            XJ maxim rear air shocks
            KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
            Pod Filters

Money pit.......
            BLACKED OUT

Comment

Ya, I was looking at this set on ebay before. Maybe leather is the way to go!
              81 XS1100SH Special
              80 Honda CBX Supersport

Comment

Originally posted by Dman11 View Post
                Ya, I was looking at this set on ebay before. Maybe leather is the way to go!
                It all depends on the style you're looking for. Leather (or other soft material) bags are nice, and work well. They are flexible and some are even waterproof. However, they give a less "clean-cut" look, IMO. If you are looking for hard bags, there are no modern options. You'll need to look for a set of Vetter bags or there are a few others from the late '70's-early '80's that can be made to work (Shoei, Samsonite, etc.).

Just remember that the Specials were not originally designed to have hard bags on them, and were never sold with them. The Standards had a touring package (by Pacifico) available, but the mounting brackets do not fit a Special without some modification. If you find a set on e-bay that says it fits an XS11, be skeptical that it will fit a Special, as the mounting points are different between the two. I managed to find a Vetter bracket set that was designed for the Special as an after-market item. They have not been made since '80 or so when Craig Vetter sold his company.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  Just remember that the Specials were not originally designed to have hard bags on them, and were never sold with them. The Standards had a touring package (by Pacifico) available, but the mounting brackets do not fit a Special without some modification. If you find a set on e-bay that says it fits an XS11, be skeptical that it will fit a Special, as the mounting points are different between the two. I managed to find a Vetter bracket set that was designed for the Special as an after-market item. They have not been made since '80 or so when Craig Vetter sold his company.
                  And specials with hard bags tend to not be able to use the rear pegs with the bags on, where the standards can because the pegs are further forward.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dman11 View Post
                    Any Sugestions on after marketSaddlebags that bolt on to a 81 XS 1100SH Special?
                    Hi Dman,
                    if you are a cheapskate like me, drop into Princess Auto and check out the range of heavy duty nylon soft bags they sell for quads and snow machines. Same quality as the generic soft bags sold in bike shops at about half what the bike shops want. That plus a package of bunjy cords and you're fit to go.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      And specials with hard bags tend to not be able to use the rear pegs with the bags on, where the standards can because the pegs are further forward.
                      Is it because the pegs are further forward, or the bracket for the Specials pushes the bags further back?
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        Is it because the pegs are further forward, or the bracket for the Specials pushes the bags further back?
                        From the pictures I have seen, and my own bike, the pegs are further back in relation to the bags on a special. It doesn't look like the bags are forward more, so I relate that out to the pegs must be about an inch further back than on a standard, which would make them unusable with the bags on (if mine were an inch to the back, you wouldn't be able to put your feet on them with the bags on).
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I have hard bags on my special and the rear pegs are very usable. The po (my father in law) rode this bike up and down the west coast with my mother in law. No problem reaching the pegs. Obviously they are aftermarket. The mounting braket I have does not appear to be modified in anyway. Unfortunatly there are no markings on them for me to know who made them. This is the way my father in law bought the bike in '81. I had to replace on bag that was missing a lid and that the bottom was nearly worn through. I got some off ebay that were labled as Pacifico in the listing. I don't know if they really were or not but they matched what I had.

Short story long you can search ebay for a while and just realize that you will either have to modify the braket they come with or make your own.
                          1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
                          1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
                          1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Rear view, veter on a special

mro

Comment

MRO - You guys & your california weather. The back of that bike looks brand new. All I can say is wow. I got soft leather bags from bikerbags.com in the USA. They ship to Canada. They are great quality & hold up. I just made some brackets a week ago to hold them up better, they are hidden by the bags. (Now can fit a 10 liter gas can in one of them for a trip) Did this to take the stress off the stiching as they are throwovers. I did lose the rear pegs - but I put forwards on my bike & the original footpegs for the driver are now used for the passenger so all is okay. I think at bikerbags most of the bags are now synthetic leather. This is really the way to go as less maint. (no contstant mothers conditioner to keep them semi waterproof & sun proof) I think Fred had a good idea with Princess Auto if you want the non-leather look. I didn't have that option back them. They just built one in my nearest city last summer (Sudbury) I'll have to check it out. - Dan
                              '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                              1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                              Rebuilt head, valves
                              TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                              Tkat Fork Brace
                              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                              Dyna Coils & wires
                              Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                              ISO grips with stelleto ends
                              4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                              Bridgestone Spitfires
                              Tuned by Tinman905
                              & a will to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X