Tranny is gone!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny is gone!!!!!

Well it finally happened...... I procrastinated on the 2nd gear fix and my transmission went out on me! Turned onto a street and put it in first gave sone gas and tried to shift to second..... wont come out of neutral now and the shift lever moves up and down freely(still goes back to center though). Makes a grinding noise when i push it. Motor still runs great. Kinda pissed since this is my daily driver!!

Going to pick up a doner engine tommorow with what seems to be 2700 or 102700 or 202700 miles.... WHO KNOWS!?!?!?! but going to do a tranny swap......

my one and only question is do i have to split the case??? Havent researched anything yet cause im to mad to read right now.
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Check under the left shifter cover first. One of the shift drum pins might have come out. Make sure everything is lined up correctly as explained in the service manual. If 2nd crapped out, the bike should operate fine in all the other gears. Don't expect to find good tranny gears in a used motor, might as well fix your own. Cases don't need to be split unless something is wrong on the main shaft, which is not that likely.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Have a quick look at this tech tip before you start putting in a new motor or ordering gears or stripping down your transmission.

JAT
      Ken Talbot

Comment

well im gunna pick this motor up to swap trans and then take the motor part and bore it and then take my trans gears now and undercut them all... my motor now leaks all over due to rushing while putting it back together...
        Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
        XJ maxim rear air shocks
        KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
        Pod Filters

Money pit.......
        BLACKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
          well im gunna pick this motor up to swap trans and then take the motor part and bore it and then take my trans gears now and undercut them all... my motor now leaks all over due to rushing while putting it back together...
          That sounds reasonable. Maybe a good winter project if you have a good place to work. (I hate ice-cold wrenches!!!)
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well it doesnt get to icy in south Texas that much Picked up the engine today! Got at the yard at 4, they closed at 4 but the nice guy let me pull the engine which took me about 15 minutes of rushing..

Engine is from a 78 and has been sitting for a long time. ODOMETER stated 2706 but the oil cap has been taken off. While pulling the engine i drained the water. oil. sludge mixture..... just needing the trans parts for now... hopefully its nice!

Soon to be in the market for a big bore for this 78, then fuel injection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by kirmit77; 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM. Reason: im stupid
            Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
            XJ maxim rear air shocks
            KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
            Pod Filters

Money pit.......
            BLACKED OUT

Comment

How hard is it to change the transmission out if needed? I looked at the tech tips, and it "seems" pretty descent, but I'd like to hear from some of you that have actually done it.
              1980 XS1100SG
              In the process of making her look pretty!
              P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

Comment

The easiest part about it... is that if you run into any problems, you can pop on here and ask, and someone will help you out.

Being in Cali, there may be other members close that would help you with some hands on. Or at least supervise while you did the work.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by thewright1 View Post
                  How hard is it to change the transmission out if needed? I looked at the tech tips, and it "seems" pretty descent, but I'd like to hear from some of you that have actually done it.
                  If it is just replacing the gears on the countershaft I can do it in around 3 hours start to finish, but I have done it a few times. The first time took at least twice as long.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

its pretty easy. I did mine while it was on the centerstand, laying on my back. I had a donor engine with good gears so I did not have to grind on anything. It took me a couple of days because of goofing around and BSing in the garage with my buddies.

If you have some kinda mechanical knowledge then its no brainer. Also, I would print out the tech tip, and print out the part of the owners manual about the transmission and clutch stuff.
                    Just my $3.25.
                    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                    XJ maxim rear air shocks
                    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                    BLACKED OUT

Comment

Just my $3.25.
                      Man, what's with these guys that think their 2 cents are worth so much?

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

You know the Texans, Tod. Everything is bigger, and therefore costs more! There MAY be a few exceptions, but I've only met John and Kat in person, and I don't think they count! (other than being great people!)
                        As for the tranny, there are a few owners in the greater LA area, and I know of one or two who have done the repair.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post

Tod
                          Must be in marketing that one. Thinks a Canadian Nickle is worth a sawbuck I guess.

As to the task at hand. Form someone who never tore into an MC engine or tranny before and has now completed this task three times in a year span (all on diffrerent machines) if you follow the tech tip step by step you can hardly go wrong. Read ALL of it before you begin and know the pitfalls it warns yous of before you begin. I will also say that form experience doing three of them on the centerstand, every one of them puts up a different fight on either getting the gear shaft out, or putting it in, but they all make you struggle at one step or the other. That said, even I got them all three back together (with help on one since it was another members machine, actually he got them back in on that one).
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                          X