Decent 4 into 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent 4 into 1

Does anyone build an engineered 4-1 exhaust for the eleven special.I don't want to put on exhaust just for looks and noise.I'd like some with equal length head pipes thru a merged collector and into the muffler/megaphone.Something that with proper jetting is a power builder..Does anyone still make one worth using.I know Kerker used to make them for these bikes.They are now Supertrapp and according to one of their techs ,someone higher up sold the fixtures for building pipes for the xs 1100 several years ago.
    Wonder who the flip bought em .Are any of the current pipes tuned ,or are they are just for looks and noise.Are any of them worth a crap.Inquiring old mind has a need to know..................................

Look here ---------

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Yamaha-4-...category=74225

Comment

wonder what brand they are?

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead View Post
        wonder what brand they are?
        Just a little deeper in it's shown that they are Mac exhausts. I was thrown off by the fact that a decent 4 into 1 was requested. I have heard that the Mac doesn't qualify.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I just went back to link and saw they were macs .I to, was under the impression they(macs) were junk.

Comment

Anyone heard of marshall 4 into 1 .They are in the uk

Comment

I wonde how difficult (and XSpensive) it would be to replicate an XSisting set of pipes?
              4 into 1 collectors of various sizes are available from the automotive market. Seems like a decent XShaust shop with a tubing bender could fab the pipes.
              My local machinist (bored my cylinders for the 1196 kit) said the 'Y' pipe I want for my XShaust would be easy.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
                I wonde how difficult (and XSpensive) it would be to replicate an XSisting set of pipes?
                4 into 1 collectors of various sizes are available from the automotive market. Seems like a decent XShaust shop with a tubing bender could fab the pipes.
                My local machinist (bored my cylinders for the 1196 kit) said the 'Y' pipe I want for my XShaust would be easy.
                I was wondering the same thing.I'd like to have the old Kerker dimensions

Comment

I have a set of Yoshimura racing headers for the XS1100 sitting in the garage. Looks like they would be relatively easy to make. Pretty much exactly what you are describing. They sound cool too..
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead View Post
                    I was wondering the same thing.I'd like to have the old Kerker dimensions
                    As luck would have it, I just happen to have an old set of Kerker in my pile of "stuff".

Is this what your looking for?

Besides having to remove them to change the oil filter and the condition of the chrome (yup they're chrome under the ceramic paint) here's the other reason.

Comment

Exhaust

Here is a set if Hookers I bought earlier this year on Ebay. These are made for the Special but will also fit the Standard with a little modification. I have had them on my 78E and they are obviously double walled because they have not shown any blueing as of yet. Hooker no longer makes these but these would be a great set to replicate.

78 XS1100E Standard
                      Coca Cola Red
                      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                        As luck would have it, I just happen to have an old set of Kerker in my pile of "stuff".

Is this what your looking for?

HAY!
                        Them's my old pipes.
                        I traded them to Exquized for a can of beer or something.

They worked great, sounded like a NASCAR. Big hit at 5K, bottom end wasn't that bad.
                        Quite loud.
                        Oh, they did drag occasionally.

I prefer the 4 into 2 for looks and found a set of Jardines.
                        Last edited by oseaghdha; 12-12-2009, 06:54 AM.
                        XS1100SF
                        XS1100F

Comment

oseaghdha,

This is what was on my SG when I picked it up in Gainsville, Tx. last year.

An empty beer can is about ALL that was inside that baffle!

Comment

Yeah, I got mine from Andreas as an inexpensive stopgap when my stockers broke. No telling how many bikes they had been on by then. They were pretty well experienced tho. I don't think Matt has put them back to work yet. I always wondered what brand they were.

Like you said, you need to remove to do the filter, and I banged the collector more than once.

With my fairing on, at about 5000RPM, that megaphone would set up a wicked harmonic howl inside my helmet. Like to drove me insane before I found some earplugs.
                            XS1100SF
                            XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
                              With my fairing on, at about 5000RPM, that megaphone would set up a wicked harmonic howl inside my helmet. Like to drove me insane before I found some earplugs.
                              Howl isn't the word for it! It made my ears ache.

I built a baffle for it, wraped it in s/s wool and it sounded pretty cool.

Still looked like crap though.

Comment

Working...
                              X