clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawnb View Post
    there is also a small knock while trying to start sounds like it comes from generator area which causes an drop in power but engine turns over faster with cluch lever pulled in. hopefullyits just sticking plates, and needs to be cleaned also was running automoive oil in engine and tranny for about 135 miles. I gather that as the real culprit but the chattering and clacking while riding hopefully is from sticking plates.
    If the bike is in neutral then there should be NO difference in crank over speed with the clutch pulled in or not. If there is, then something in the gear train is dragging.

If there is a knock when cranking then something is moving/hitting something and it needs to be dealt with. If it sounds like it's coming from the alternator area make sure its not dragging anywhere.

As for the automotive oil, its the only thing I have run in any of my bikes, and I've got an XS400 that has over 50000 miles on it that is till running good (and 50000 is high miles for those little twins, and yes, I KNOW it's all original, I bought it from my uncle who was the original owner). If you have chattering or clacking while riding, there is something wrong with the motor, depending on where it's coming from it could either be in the valve train, or the bearings as likely culprits, although with the difference in cranking speed with the clutch pulled in an may be troubles with the transmission.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I have run nothing but auto oil in my bike so far, about 7,000 miles on it this year. (not on the smae oil or filter mind you.) No clutch problems here.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

there is also a small knock while trying to start sounds like it comes from generator area which causes an drop in power but engine turns over faster with cluch lever pulled in. hopefullyits just sticking plates, and needs to be cleaned also was running automoive oil in engine and tranny for about 135 miles. I gather that as the real culprit but the chattering and clacking while riding hopefully is from sticking plates.
        It sounds to me like the rotor rubbing on the stator. If the cover isn't installed EXACTLY where it's supposed to, it will rub the stator. This will cause a power loss, and a rubbed stator.. even if just slightly rubbed.. is junk. Pull the alternator cover off and look for evidence of contact.. shavings, shiny spot on rotor or stator.. etc. You have to use the guide pins for the cover. If those are missing and you just try to use the screws to line it up.. it will rub. I'm tellin' ya, it has to be exactly right. The clearance is really close. Hopefully it is the clutch though.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own