clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch

25 plus year old clutch there is an enormous amount of chatter coming from clutch and clutch has stop working hard to push in nuetral and all gears. Is it possible to change springs are do i need to change friction plats or both. costantnant pro's have described springs as culprit with good clutch plate surface cleaning?????????? Also starter doesn;t turnover fast enough because of clutch tension, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Originally posted by Shawnb View Post
    25 plus year old clutch there is an enormous amount of chatter coming from clutch and clutch has stop working hard to push in nuetral and all gears. Is it possible to change springs are do i need to change friction plats or both. costantnant pro's have described springs as culprit with good clutch plate surface cleaning?????????? Also starter doesn;t turnover fast enough because of clutch tension, any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Have you tried all adjustment procedures? It may just be an adjustment issue.

Comment

Yep, I would start with adusting the cable at both ends as described in the tech tips.

The clutch springs are not the cause of the clutch chattering or not disengaging. The springs keep the clutch friction disc and steel plates pushed tight together, when they begin to fail you get more slippage than you want.

If the bike has sat for a long time, the friction plates and steels could be sticking together, so a good cleaning of them and a little bit of sanding with 220 or 600 grit paper can help as well.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

clutch

79 not 78 second year of the first SUPERBIKE xs 1100 standard, with 1978 fuel tank. 1985 yamaha xj 700 maxim (maxim x, V-MAX) nOT A GOOD RIDER i'M GLAD THE TWO LANE ROADS ARE AS WIDE AS THEY ARE.

Comment

79 not 78 second year of the first SUPERBIKE xs 1100 standard, with 1978 fuel tank. 1985 yamaha xj 700 maxim (maxim x, V-MAX) nOT A GOOD RIDER i'M GLAD THE TWO LANE ROADS ARE AS WIDE AS THEY ARE.
          ?????????????????????? Clutch

Comment

there is an enormous amount of chatter coming from clutch
            If it's not torn apart yet, you could try some MMO in the engine oil to de-gunk the plates. Just don't ride it too hard that way because the oil will thin out some. Ride the bike, let it sit overnite, and check again for improvement. If it's OK, change the oil and ride. If no, tear into it. HTH
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

To me, what you describe is the tabs of the friction plates cutting notches into the clutch basket. Here's a pic from the manual...

So, set the bike on the sidestand and you don't even have to drain your oil. Check your clutch out, get some heavy duty springs and throw the old ones away.. usually less than $20, and measure your discs and check out the basket. Just don't cut the little wire to get the last steel disc off.. it stays. Slap it back together and ride off into the sunset.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I just realized that nobody seems to have caught that it doesn't matter what the clutch is like. If the bike is in neutral it should turn over fine. If it doesn't turn over fine there is something wrong with the starter or something else. The bike should be easy to push around (well as easy as a 600+ lb bike gets) if it's in neutral, and the starter should turn the engine over fine assuming a good battery and good engine.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

2 problems?

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  I just realized that nobody seems to have caught that it doesn't matter what the clutch is like. If the bike is in neutral it should turn over fine. If it doesn't turn over fine there is something wrong with the starter or something else. The bike should be easy to push around (well as easy as a 600+ lb bike gets) if it's in neutral, and the starter should turn the engine over fine assuming a good battery and good engine.
                  Hi Cy,
                  interpreting Shawn's somewhat incoherent posts as best I can; I think that his transmission clutch rattles like a bastard and is hard to use and that his starter clutch slips so the engine don't spin fast enough to start.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I just realized that nobody seems to have caught that it doesn't matter what the clutch is like. If the bike is in neutral it should turn over fine.

I don't guess YOU realize that by having those notches grooved into the clutch basket, your clutches can't release properly and are kept from sliding back and forth along that groove, and it will make it hard to push in neutral, and in any gear with the clutch pulled in, and will also still grab and pull on the starter motor when trying to start. There could be MANY reasons the clutch isn't releasing properly, but they would all have the effect he describes.

For comparison... just pull your clutch in halfway and try to start it or push it around while in gear.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Ummm..... Tod, the clutch doesn't even come into play when the trans is in nuetral. It's just a flywheel basically at that point.

IIRC

Comment

Hmm.. I stand corrected on that. Another case of operating a keyboard before coffee cup and brain are engaged. Sorry Cy.

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          Hi Cy,
                          interpreting Shawn's somewhat incoherent posts as best I can; I think that his transmission clutch rattles like a bastard and is hard to use and that his starter clutch slips so the engine don't spin fast enough to start.
                          It could be that. What I do gather is that he appears to have trouble getting the engine to turn over in neutral, that points to a problem other than the clutch, also the OP hasn't stated yet if he has done the clutch adjustment procedure yet, but if you can't get it to start in neutral because it won't turn over that is the first problem that needs to be fixed, and I agree, it could be the starter clutch.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                            It could be that. What I do gather is that he appears to have trouble getting the engine to turn over in neutral, that points to a problem other than the clutch, also the OP hasn't stated yet if he has done the clutch adjustment procedure yet, but if you can't get it to start in neutral because it won't turn over that is the first problem that needs to be fixed, and I agree, it could be the starter clutch.
                            You will see several past postings on the subject of the "starter clutch". Thick oil, cold weather, synthetic oil. What you can do is heat the crackcase to bring the oil to reasonable temperatures and then try to see if the starter clutch grabs hold...if that is the root of the problem. If you get it started and bring the engine oil to normal temperature, you might just see that it is indeed temperature related. I have three xs11 bikes that have all experienced this phenomina at one time or another. It is in the single digits outside and I may go down to the garage just to fire them up and make some noise in the neighborhood. I'll bet at least one of them gives me trouble.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

clutch

there is also a small knock while trying to start sounds like it comes from generator area which causes an drop in power but engine turns over faster with cluch lever pulled in. hopefullyits just sticking plates, and needs to be cleaned also was running automoive oil in engine and tranny for about 135 miles. I gather that as the real culprit but the chattering and clacking while riding hopefully is from sticking plates.

Comment

Working...
                              X