Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS1100 Bobber/Chopper FAQ/Parts Reference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 Bobber/Chopper FAQ/Parts Reference?

Hey guys. I really appreciate all the replies I got for my first post. This is hands down a great community. I did have a couple questions for people who have built choppers/bobbers, more preferably XS1100's, I know more than quite a few exhist.

I wondered for starters about tanks. My tank is ugly, IMO. It is a 78/79 tank with a big square/rectangle opening in the middle. I'm looking for a tank that is maybe a bit more round overall, and just a simple single round gas cap.

I've seen a couple bikes with tanks like this. Are these tanks from other XS models? Are there tanks anyone knows off hand that do not require much modification to bolt on?

Seats, same deal. I've seen a few bobber/chopper styled XS1100 bikes with single style seats with old school springs in the rear that looked like they bolted right on. Does anyone know off hand an affordable aftermarket seat that does not require a lot of modification? I can weld/fabricate, but i'm looking to keep this project as affordable as possible outside making sure its mechanically safe. I do plan to have space for a rear passenger, but just one of those pop-on-style/simple rear cushions basically.

Fenders... I cut that entire chunk of the rear frame completely off the bike. Looking to run a full or 1/2 rear fender that stops about half way, or a full fender that is angled more towards the front of the rear tire, not the top. Does anyone know who's used aftermarket fenders on bobber XS's that at least fit? I know any fender will need bracing or cutting/welding to bolt on, but width wise. Even if its tractor supply, it's a lot easier asking for help from those who have already done this then to try to play a guessing game on what will or won't work.

Handle bars... APE HANGERS! Okay, kinda, but not really. I want an ape-hanger style handle bar, but like... half the height of "standard" ape hangers. I'm looking for basically the affect, but maybe just two inches of added height, not like 8".

Last but not least, I haven't seen any bobber style XS's that had a more-than-factory ranked fork/tree setup. I'm not looking to go extreme, but I would love to add a couple inches of length and bring the bike forward and down a little with a mild rake. Harleys I hear have degree shims that will give them up to 6 degree's or something. Has anyone manufactured after-market tree's or any type of degree system to add a small rake to an XS1100 without spending a ton of money in the process?

You guys have been great, and again, as soon as I can and actually start to make progress again, i'll take some pictures. Right now she's just a frame and wheels and motor... no handle bars or seat or anything.

Thanks, I can't wait to see some replies from you guys. There are a ton of gorgeous bikes on here.

Originally posted by Trix View Post
    ...Last but not least, I haven't seen any bobber style XS's that had a more-than-factory ranked fork/tree setup. I'm not looking to go extreme, but I would love to add a couple inches of length and bring the bike forward and down a little with a mild rake. Harleys I hear have degree shims that will give them up to 6 degree's or something. Has anyone manufactured after-market tree's or any type of degree system to add a small rake to an XS1100 without spending a ton of money in the process?
    There's people out there that will build you raked trees for nearly any bike, but don't go there. Raked trees are DANGEROUS. Sure, you'll run into guys that will tell you 'they're fine, don't worry' but the fact remains that enough rake in the trees so you can see it will reduce your trail to the point that the bike becomes unstable. The Harleys that have adjustable trees have them to allow for a sidecar setup, a legitimate use. The only other time raked trees should be used is if you have a BIG rake in the neck (over 40 degrees), then they can be used to reduce the trail to a more managable number. Do a search for 'rake/trail calculator' for an explanation (RB Racing's is good).

The bigger retailers won't touch these because of the liabilty, and the places that do sell them say they're 'for show only' to escape legal issues.

There is an oufit that sells a complete, patented 'system' that doesn't require any frame alterations, but at $1600-1800, definitely not lo-buck. For cheap, cutting the neck is big job, but the only way to do this right.....

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi Trix and welcome,
      Your profile don't say but it seems like your bike is a Standard model?
      5 gallon gas tank with a rectangular flushmounted filler cap, front axle directly under the fork slider, rectangular gauges and flashers?
      Check the photo pages to see Standard and Special machines.
      What you can do for cheap to get towards the look you want is to swap in the front forks (c/w brake calipers & fender, they are different and must swap as a package) and the gas tank off a Special.
      These parts will drop straight on and the trail won't change if you swap the forks trees and all. Note that the nicely rounded Special gas tank has over a gallon less fuel capacity.
      Andreas Weiss who parts out XS11s on this list can be your best friend here.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Why are you suggesting swapping the tree's and fender from a special? Why can't I just use a special tank? And yes, mine is a standard, rectangle ugly guage cluster and light.

thanks for the input so far, just was confused as to what the advantage was of a special's trees and forks.

Comment

he's suggesting the tank for the style your looking for and the trees for the rake your looking for.you dont have to do both, he is jsut answering both your questions

I have looked, but you can not find anyone who produces custom aftermarket parts for these machines. only thing you really can do is swap with other machines, and some modifications will be required.
          "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
          "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
          79 XS1100 modified standard
          Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
          pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
          straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
          new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
          Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
          owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

I'm definitely no expert, but I think if you've got access to welding supplies, your best bet will be to get yourself some sheet aluminum, measure, decide what you want, and make it. That way it will fit your bike how you like it and you wont need to jerk around with spending a bunch on stuff that doesn't quite work. It will also allow you more tank options, without cutting your frame down to a single spine(NOT recommended btw. This thing's heavy. If you must go single spine, beef it up and reinforce the heck out of it)

As far as changing the angle of your forks, you've got two real options(not including swapping the assembly.) You can cut/extend the downtubes while bending the backbones, or you can chop into the metal behind the neck, wedge it forward, and weld in another piece(though I don't know if this will work on this bike-frame. I've not been around my bike long enough to tell you.) Whatever you decide, do the math before you do anything, and don't trust your ass to welds you make if you're not completely, unreservedly and ACCURATELY sure of your skill. Last thing you want is a noggin full of asphalt because the neck gave, or to end up flintsone-stopping with your ass because your hard-tail welds gave out.

For a seat, if you want cheap and dirty, with some elbow work, find a big spade-type shovel. Chop the handle off. Anneal it and pound it into a pan. Cover it. Weld on a sturdy hinge of some sort up front. Weld a couple beefy bolts to your frame to seat the springs. Viola.

For the fender, again, just hammer your aluminum out to how you want it. It'll take you forever to get it smooth, but you'll have what you want, and the majority of your expense will be in time and effort, rather than money.
            Last edited by Spider; 12-07-2009, 09:32 AM.
            1978 XS1100
            "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

Originally posted by Trix View Post
              Why are you suggesting swapping the tree's and fender from a special? Why can't I just use a special tank? And yes, mine is a standard, rectangle ugly guage cluster and light.

thanks for the input so far, just was confused as to what the advantage was of a special's trees and forks.
              Hi Trix,
              two separate fixes.
              The Special tank is smaller and rounder. It's the shape you want and it drops right on.
              The Special's gas cap, fuel level sender and gas taps are different to the Standard's so must come with.
              If you want the fuel level sender to work you need the Special's round tach which has a red warning light in it instead of a fuel gauge.
              The Special's forks carry the front axle on the front of the fork slider instead of underneath like yours.
              They have a more chopperish look to them but they don't change how the bike steers. Again, you have to swap the complete fork,trees and all or you WILL alter the steering trail.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Trix I'm going with a tank from a Honda cb 750. It almost bolts up, but is still gonna take some heavy modification. Just an idea.
                Joe

78XS1100

Comment

oh man what kinds rear shocks are those. i want some. do they come in black?

Comment

oh man what kinds rear shocks are those. i want some. do they come in black?
                    12-07-2009 11:57 PM
                    I thing those are temporary to hold the rear end up....from the looks of the resevior tank on the ground, he's going to put 'air shocks' on this bad boy!!

Not sure the seat in the backround mounted to the beast is going to help the chopper/bobber look... IMO
                    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                    Windjammer(wiring issues)
                    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                    New paint/brakes to come!!
                    ===============
                    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                    ===============
                    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                    Stock Pilots/125 mains
                    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                    LED Brake Lite
                    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

I thing those are temporary to hold the rear end up....from the looks of the resevior tank on the ground, he's going to put 'air shocks' on this bad boy!!
                      Naw,that is a 2X4 rigid tail right there,lol
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

bobber xs

Hi Im new to this forum but I have used it for information many times. Here is a pic of my bobber midnight special that I built last spring. I used a cb750 rear fender that I cut and added a brace where the tail light is. The carbs are from a 78 special. I have gone through this bike completely and it runs like a bat out of hell. How do I Post an image?

Comment

Originally posted by scotxs View Post
                          - - - I have gone through this bike completely and it runs like a bat out of hell. How do I Post an image?
                          Hi Scot,
                          this list will not accept photos direct from your computer.
                          You need to send your photo to a public site (I use photobucket, there are many more besides) and send it from there.
                          It's so simple that even I can do it.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                            Naw,that is a 2X4 rigid tail right there,lol
                            A 2x4 isn't dangerous enough! I roll with1x2's
                            Joe

78XS1100

Comment

Either that or the Invisi-shock!