locked brake caliper - spooge hole cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nightpilot View Post
    I cleaned rear master cylinder and front and rear calipers that operate off them. I got rubber kits for rear mc. found the dust cover for rear was much oversized and oring was hardened. this freed it up. still dont have dust rings on front but seem to be fine. Probably would be better if had front rings to keep out moisture but kits are around 20 apiece and trying to get by without it. The corrosion was also between outer dust ring on front and outside of caliper but might not have interfered. The hardened oring putting too much pressure on piston seemed to be biggest problem.
    There is no dust ring on the fronts for the XJ calipers. I have a rebuild kit, and it does not include that. They have 2 o-rings in the caliper bore instead.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      There is no dust ring on the fronts for the XJ calipers. I have a rebuild kit, and it does not include that. They have 2 o-rings in the caliper bore instead.
      That outer o-ring performs the same function as a 'dust seal', just not quite as well. It's there to protect the inner seal and the bore...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...