Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Petcock Repair

Petcock Repair for Specials

Do not recall seeing this posted before, and needed to make this repair. Seen a few members asking about it lately, so I decided to again post my process for posterity and or your entertainment and mockery It is really simple and easy, but just to ease the tension of the unknown for some of you, here it is.

I ordered my repair kits form Georgefix on ebay. He has been a great resource for seals and kits for the XS1100 in my experience. The kit for the special model comes with the parts to repair both petcocks and the vacuum valve or “Octy”. I actually eliminated the Octy on Thunderstruck when I first got her due to it not operating correctly and I would rather not mess with repairing a third safety in my view. But, since the kit came with the parts, I went ahead and repaired it. BTW, the two large o-rings in the kit are not used. Also note that the special model petcocks have four settings, on (down) Reserve (up) Prime ( toward rear of the bike) and OFF (toward fornt of the bike). Also note, each petcock has a letter L or R to indicate which side of the bike it goes on. In stock position, the front outlet nozzle is the Prime outlet and the rear is the On and or Reserve outlet.

I started with the petcock. First thing is to open it up by removing the two small screws on the face plate. This will let you remove the face plate and the spring that keeps pressure on the seals. You can see here the parts laid out after removal.

Next remove the operating part of the valve. Just grab the handle and twist it as you pull it out. It has a rubber o-ring in the edge for the seal.

Next just pull the black seal disc out of the valve, it’s the piece with four circle cutouts in it and it just peals out. You will want to clean up the valve after removing these seals.

From here, just put the new seal in the valve and replace the o-ring with the ones in the kit. Then reassemble. You will have left the old o-ring and seal.

Next is the octy, a little more complicated, but still pretty easy. First is to remove the four screws that hold it together.

Then remove the front plate. Under it is a spring. You can also see the old octy valve. Note the small o-ring on the valve that is down against the table top. That is what stops gas flowing from the petcocks to the carburators, the spring pushes it back into the opening where fuel comes in from the two petcocks. You can see the openings in the piece in the back. With the Octy in use, you could use only one petcock to feed both carbs. Both petcocks feed lines meet here and can feed either/both carbs.

At this time I also made sure the vacuum path was clear by using my mityvac to suck air out through the vacuum connection. Use what ever method serves you best to test this. It does have a one way valve, so blowing into it will move no air.

Next you will need to push that smaller valve piece and its seal through the hole in the plastic middle of the valve. You end up with the pieces shown. The repair kit comes with a new valve/seal. Everything else is reused.

Next push the new seal and valve through so one flap is on each side of the plastic piece. Be sure to pay attention to the recess in the plastic piece that the vacuum side disc goes into or you will need to pull it back apart and do this step again, the hardest part of the entire job.

Also note, the plastic stubs that the holes in the rubber seals go over and that mate with holes in both sides of the metal valve bodies. From here you just put the spring back on the large disc side of the assembly and sandwich it in between the metal valve bodies, then put the screws back in to hold it together.

Newly rebuilt petcocks. BTW, the other larger screws are just drains. If your as detailed and obsessive as me, you can pull them out and run a Q-tip soaked in carb cleaner or pipe cleaner, brush, or whatever instrument you choose to clean that out as well. If those drains are leaking, you can cut new gaskets for them from a gasket sheet.

Hope this helps someone else. If not, well, it gave me another post.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Did you reuse the diaphram and boss, or did you install new? There was a post several months ago on rebuild kits that said some of the rebuild kits had bosses on the diaphrams that were 1mm shorter than factory, which can cause problems shutting off the fuel flow. The recommendation was to use the existing diaphram and boss and install the new o-ring. If you've still got it off the bike, you might want to put a caliper on the boss and insure the dimensions are the same as stock. JAT
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hey Doug, I will check that out as I have not installed it. I am pretty sure that was referring to the Standard petcocks, but may well apply to the special Octy as well. I'll check it tonight and follow up.

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

OK, since I am an anal retentive engineer and working form home today, this was gonna drive me nuts until I knew.

Measured it out and if there is a difference in any critical dimensions I can not find it. Distance from the disc to the back of the rubber seal is the same within .02 mm on each. Also tried blowing air through the inlet line of the assmebled Octy (with the other inlet blocked) and no air would go through. I am confident the new part is good and will work.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Petcock Mystery Revealed!!

Thanks for the "How-To", DGXSER. Taking the extra time to lay things out and photograph them in a "Mocumentary" form takes away a lot of the intimidation factor for anyone about to tackle this project. (I have only one special petcock right now and am still holding on to it in the hopes that one day fate/fortune will lead me to another one.)

Dontcha wish cameras didn't deliberately unfocus things at that distance???!

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Petcock Repair for Specials
            - - - The kit for the special model comes with the parts to repair both petcocks and the vacuum valve or “Octy”. - - -
            I started with the petcock. First thing is to open it up by removing the two small screws on the face plate. This will let you remove the face plate and the spring - - -
            Hi Don,
            nice writeup. Did the kit include new zig-zag springs?
            When I cleaned out my Special taps I got away with flipping the 4-hole seals over and carefully tweaking the zig-zag springs to give them a bit more bite. I also polished and put a dab of vaseline on the seal faces.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Fred,

Nope, no new spring. Just reuse the same one.

On mine, I tried flipping that seal also. Worked for one but not the other.

I think the vasoline would be a great idea to keep from damaging that seal if you turn it before it gets lubed by the gasoline. They defintiely feel tight when you first turn them before you and put gas to them.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

While you're in there, try this tip from Ivan:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...etcock+surface

Even with new rubber seals mine continued to leak until I gave them this treatment. It was easy to do and made all the difference.
                I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                3J6 003509
                Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                Fuse Block Upgrade
                Mike's XS Green Coils
                Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  I think the vasoline would be a great idea to keep from damaging that seal if you turn it before it gets lubed by the gasoline.
                  I would use a dab of brake fluid instead. Remember what they taught in guidance class about vaseline and rubber...
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                    I would use a dab of brake fluid instead. Remember what they taught in guidance class about vaseline and rubber...
                    Hi Ken,
                    um, that would be using vaseline on latex, eh? I wouldn't use gasoline on latex neither but the 4-hole rubber thingie in the gas tap stands up to it OK.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yep I think it is the petroleum that ruins the "rubber" from health class (that was what they called i when I took the class, not I think it is called Life Skills, or is that what used to be Home Economics ). Like Fred indicated, the rubber in those seals is made for petroleum use.

However, I am certain the brake fluid would work as well.

Eric, I would agree that if your valve shows that kind of wear to resurface like that. Mine did not have any gouges like that.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Amendment to the information provided. THe large O-rings in that kit are NOT extraneous!! They are the replacement petcock to gas tank seals!!

I happened to reinstall my petcocks after cleaning the gas tank and found fuel on the floor of the garage....again

I started mumbling through my brain to figure a good replacement scheme byt cheap. Then I thought, well, those larger o-rings wer eint hat kit perhaps they will fit or cna be stretched to fit. Well...no stretch required, they ARE the right size.

Turns out Georgefix knew more than I gave him credit for!!

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Do you mean that those round ones in the kit replace the oblong O-rings between the tank and the petcocks? I would never have figired it out. Thanks for the tip. I have two extra O-rings for that now.
                          dontlikeoc
                          1981 XS1100 Special Edition
                          Alhambra, CA

Comment

Yep, the kit I got came with a total of 7 parts. The replacement diagphram for the "Octy" valve as shown in this write up. Two replacement petcock valve seals or round disc with four holes in them. Two smaller o-rings to replace the oring seal on the actual valve/handle as shown.

And finally, two larger thicker o-rings that unbeknownst to me originally, are the replacement seals for the petcock to tank monting flange!

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                            X