head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head gasket

needing a head gasket & valve cover gasket for 82 XJ1100. don't really want /afford the whole kit.

Welcome to channel 11! I saw an aftermarket head gasket on e-bay several days ago for $25, which is a good price, but it's gone now. It's generally cheaper to get the entire aftermarket gasket set, which includes the head and valve cover gaskets. You'll get new valve stem seals too, and if you're planning to pull the head it would be a crime not to replace those while it's apart. The OEM head gasket by itself is over $100. I know it's not what you want to hear, but the full kit is the way to go.

I'm not sure on the XJ's if they have the same gasket arrangement as the XS's, but if you see a big rubber thing around the cam chain tunnel, get rid of it before you put the new gasket on. There was a design change in the head gaskets and that part is no longer used. If you try to install the new type gasket with the rubber seal you'll run into problems.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
    X