Wraps around the exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wraps around the exhaust

I just got some awesome exhaust headers off of ebay. I've seen a few people with the rope(ish) looking wraps around their pipes and I was interested in doing something like that, does anyone know what kind of wraps those are? It seems like I see them all the time, but now that I'm looking for them, I haven't been able to come across them.
    1980 XS1100SG
    In the process of making her look pretty!
    P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

A while ago there was a thread on here about wraps.

In short they where great with a few problems. They smell horrible when you fit them, and the smell returns every time you hit a puddle of water or drive in the rain. That was about the bottom line of the whole thread.

Wish I could remember what the thread was called, but in the end it will be up to you.
    '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
    1196 Big Bore
    4-1 Cowley exhaust
    750FD Conversion
    Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
    Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
    BMX footpegs
    Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
    GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
    Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Something like this... ?

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...6EFE476659D6A5
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by thewright1 View Post
        I just got some awesome exhaust headers off of ebay. I've seen a few people with the rope(ish) looking wraps around their pipes and I was interested in doing something like that, does anyone know what kind of wraps those are? It seems like I see them all the time, but now that I'm looking for them, I haven't been able to come across them.
        I don't know where you are 'cause you aren't showing a location.

If you have one where you are O'Reillys auto parts carries it in stock. You should be able to find it at any good auto parts store.

Comment

Here is a post about the wraps.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25514
          Sam Christensen
          The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
          If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

I just ordered some from ebay in black. 20' for under 15 bucks (seller also has 50'): search for seller headerwrap.

The wrap should be sprayed with a silicone coating, also avail. at ebay. The spray is supposed to seal and protect.

Word is the wrap (car or bike) keeps the pipes hotter for better exhaust flow and afterburn. YMMV.

TAB
            Tony A. Bartolucci
            Present Ride: 1982 XS400LJ Custom
            Former Rides: 1981 XS1100LH
            1975 Kawasaki 100 2 Stroke Enduro
            1975 Honda 750F

Current Cool Cage: 1966 Chevy Impala 396

Comment

That's perfect, it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks all.
              1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Fiberglass wrapping helps insulate the pipes, allowing the gasses inside to stay hotter, because hotter molecules move faster, allowing better scavenging in the exhaust, and thus, higher performance in the top end. But because the pipe diameter doesn't need to change, the low end is not affected as much as other methods of increasing the scavenging effect(such as stepped headers, drag pipes, etc).
                BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

OK, so i'm going to take a stab at it. I just bought my pipes form eBay, it was a nerve wrecking experience I can assure you. Anyway, how much wrap do you guys think I'd need? I'm thinking two of the 2" x 50' would that be good? I'm terrible when it comes to estimating.

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

i would say 25 feet to be good but 50 feet if you want extra to do your car or other bike.....
                    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                    1980 gs1000g "stock"
                    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have two of them, so maybe one 50' would be enough for both.
                      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Looking through your signature I have two items for you,

One...how is changing exhaust different than changing pipes??

Two...move the credit card to the top of the list instead of the bottom and you can use the saved interest to buy all you need for the beloved beast.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          Looking through your signature I have two items for you,

One...how is changing exhaust different than changing pipes??

Two...move the credit card to the top of the list instead of the bottom and you can use the saved interest to buy all you need for the beloved beast.
                          Ahh, exhaust = pipes, I'm such a spazz. My card was at 0 then all I wanted to do was make sure my engine was up to par so I charged it, now that I got it up to par, I just wanted to buy a chrome gas cap, but I can't have a chrome gas cap without painting the (originally spray painted) gas tank, and I can't have all that stuff brand new with old dingy handlebar switches. Shux, if I change my switches, then I need to be sure to change my handlebars and grips too. I can't have all that pretty stuff in the front without doing some work in the back, so I have to re-upholser my seat and get some new side covers and.... the list just goes on and on, how do you guys do it??
                          1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Yep, the old "Might-as-well" syndrome. Better known in the home remodeling industry which changes that $75,000 remodel into the $275,000 remodel. But, just as applicable here. You do it by buying one thing at a time, and then riding the thing instead of fixing and admiring it!! And use the money you save on gas from driving your 32 -40 MPG bike instead of your 13 MPG truck.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I agree 100%. The bike sat for about 3 or 4 years before my brother decided to give it to me, so I have a bit of TLC to give it in order to get it up to speed. I'd say by mid January I'll be ready to ride it regularly. Once all this stuff is done though, I'm taking a break for a few months. Then I'll do some more things to her.
                              1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                              X