No announcement yet.

can't get it moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i lined up the dots and the shifter seemed to be working alot smoother so i tried taking it for a spin just to make sure. it did seem to work better in first but it still started clunking so i tried it in second seemed to work better but it still clunked a little bit so i brought it home started tearing the beast apart i got down to removing the clutch basket but what size bolt is holding the basket on cause that thing is huge so i had to stop for the night tomorrow i'm going to flip her on back and grind down the gears and hopefully get her back on her feet by tomorrow night

Comment

ok so i finally got the clutch basket off and when i was removing it the counter shaft bolt just fell out i read on the dremel fix that it's suppose to be tighten at 51lbs haha. does anyone know of where do get one cause it is just completely rounded of and not even a bolt on there and what does the countershaft bolt do exactly ?

Comment

Originally posted by ebock112 View Post
        ok so i finally got the clutch basket off and when i was removing it the counter shaft bolt just fell out i read on the dremel fix that it's suppose to be tighten at 51lbs haha. does anyone know of where do get one cause it is just completely rounded of and not even a bolt on there and what does the countershaft bolt do exactly ?
        WOW, you might be wise to pull ALL the engine covers and confirm that everything under all of them is as it should be. Counter shaft bolt holds the counter shaft in place across the engine which of course determines the position of all the gears on that shaft. This may prove to be the cause of the problem your having with the shifting. If the counter shaft moves the gears will not engage properly. WOW, your going to want to hope the PO didn't split the cases for anything. You can likely get that bolt from the dealer or other members on the board who have parts that were bought in hardware lots.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

well like i said i already had to replace all the valves on the things so now after this i will have completely rebuilt the engine and this is only the second bike i have worked on. i already have first gear out and it is pretty worn so i'm going to probably do the dremel fix. i also found an e clip and a washer in the oil pan and at the end of the shift fork shaft the gear just fell off so i'm assuming it goes on the end of that

Comment

It is not as uncommon as you might think for that bolt to come loose. More than a couple members that know their poop have had that happen to them. I would put locktite on it when you reinstall it.

As Rob indicated, it does pull the countershaft of gears to that side of the engine and hold them their, positioning all the countershaft gears. It might have contributed to your problem, but I would still do the dremel fix, your almost there on it anyway.

That c-clip and washer do go on the end of the shift shaft fork and hold the oil pump drive gear in place. Look at that gear carefully to see the ends of the gear did not get eaten up. This is also not so uncommon to happen. My theory is that the a-holes that hold the dhift lever down to keep it in gear force the gear to drive the shift fork anyway and put force on the shaft that pushes that clip and washer off. JAT. I'm willing to bet your shift forks will show signs of wear and or grinding.

Anyway, You will probably need to find a member with a spare of that bolt I doubt you will find one like it from any other source. Keep on it and before long you will have a completely new bike!!!
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Hey again,

If you haven't you'll want to take some time to review the pictorial again. There's info about that clutch nut size that you've already loosened, the shift fork shaft...the end with the dowel pin to prevent it from rotating due to that special flat section cut into it to allow clearance of the large first gear/driven gear. Also info about the shoulder of the washer that the countershaft bolt fits into in position, most likely the PO didn't get it ligned up right and that's partly why it worked loose. Yes, locktite would be a good bit of insurance when you put it back together. Perhaps Andreas Weiss may have an extra one from the engines he's torn down/parted out?

Good Luck, keep at it!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

yeah i got the bolt from my local yamaha dealer which is a huge surprise because it seems they only have newer parts. i'm going to finish doing the gears tonight and put everything together tomorrow so hopefully she"ll be ready for toys for tots

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Hey again,

Yes, the dots on the shift lever and pawl gears are supposed to be mated and lined up, HOWEVER, the shift lever easily slides away from the engine when you pull the shift cover off, and can let that gear slip so that they get misaligned when you get the cover off.

Had a fellow Xsive that I helped to some tranny work, and I had gotten the dots aligned, but when he was putting the side cover on, he inadvertantly pulled it back out a bit, which allowed the gear to slip, but he didn't realize it, and when we tried to run it, would only shift into 1st, and would NOT shift back up thru the rest of the gears. Took the cover off, realigned, and then it shifted just fine, but the gears had already been undercut with the Dremmel fix!!

The tech tip has a nice pictorial to view and then you can decide how you want to approach it, belly up in the frame, or YOU laying on your back on the hard concrete with oil and gears and shift forks falling on your face!!

T.C.
                  Ha I remember that...LOL...BTW TC we didnt dremel those gears ...they were new factory backcut gear sets from Yamaha that Randy and I installed the 1st time...gee I felt like a dumbazz with the shift pawl mis-alignment
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                  X