Fuel bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel bowls

Hi all. I'm doing the carbs on an 81 XS1100 Venture. It has the late model carbs and was purchased not running. Upon disassembly I found two floats that had bad wear marks on them. On closer inspection the problem is I have two carb bowls that fit nicely and two that bind on the float posts. The ones that fit have an F 2-1 also a 185 cast into the inside of the bowl. The two that do not fit, have nothing stamped in them at all.
    Visually, the bowls look identical but upon measuring them the stamped ones have far less wall thickness. I would have thought that these bowls off the late model carbs would be interchangeable but apparently not.
    Anyone have any info on these? Thx Rick
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

I don't know about the #'s. But if the bowls are binding on the float post I don't think those are the right bowls. I probably have some bowls that will fit but they have the brass drain plug (80) that goes vertically up from the bottom, not the drain screw (81) that goes horizontally.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

MaximPhil's rare bird

Upon further investigation, it would appear all four fuel bowls may be wrong or, the carb set has been changed. The parts diagram shows the bowls for this bike as having BOTH side and bottom drains. The serial number shows the bike as a Canadian Edition XS1100H. The manual states that from 1981 only the Special was known as the Venture. This bike has the full Venture accessories and is called the Trans Canada Edition. The bike is definitely a standard H with the Venture package. The Trans Canada Edition Venture makes this a very rare bike.
      I had thought that perhaps someone had swapped the tour package on a 81XS1100H but that would require some electrical butchering and I see none. I'm guessing but it is possible that the Canadian edition used the standard H as the platform for the Trans Canada Venture.
      Any info anyone has or access to a manual would be helpful. Phil and I would like to keep this bike as faithful to the original as possible. Thx Rick
      I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Working...
      X