No announcement yet.

Lowering Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone ever thought of using goldwing air shocks? nothing cooler then air ride.....
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
      anyone ever thought of using goldwing air shocks? nothing cooler then air ride.....
      That might be a pretty cool set-up. Might be tough to find a spot to mount the compressor. You could also inflate your tires. Set-up on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-00...Q5fAccessories
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

well i was think more along the lines of not having the compresser and useing the junktion piese where the two linse meet and inflate or deflate on that "bung" from gas staion or you own if you have one....i can fit a shrader valve in there or get another union to make it work.....this is what im looking into....or phnumatic/air pistions......
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
        1980 gs1000g "stock"
        1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
        2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

There's lots of HD Sportster/Dyna shocks on Ebay for cheap; I've seen them as low as $20 for OEM including shipping, are usually chrome, and all it takes is a little fiddlin' with bushings to make them fit the XS. These are much closer in weight to the XS (late Sporties run about 570 wet, Dynas about 620) so would be a better match IMO. I intend to look for some Dyna take-offs for mine....

'78E original owner
          sounds like the plan
          Do you know the length of the stock sporty and dyna shocks ?

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead View Post
            sounds like the plan
            Do you know the length of the stock sporty and dyna shocks ?
            You do need to ask if it's not listed in the ad. There's different lengths depending on the model, so it's not just 'Sportster' or 'Dyna' shocks. The Dyna 'low' has 12 or 12.5 shocks depending on the year, and the Sportster 'Custom', 'Nightster', 'Hugger' and one other model (whose name escapes me) all have 12 or 12.5 shocks. You'll also run into shorter (as short as 11") aftermarket shocks that guys will remove, so there's variety out there. The 'standard' shocks for these bikes are too long for a XS, so you have to look for the shorties off the lowered models. You'll also find mixes on finish, with some all chrome, some chrome/black, some all black.

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...