Lowering Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering Shocks

I have pretty much completed my bobber conversion. It looks great as is, but I am planning on adding some mini apehangers and possibly lowering the back end. In an attempt to stay away from making it a rigid frame, does anyone know where I could order shorter shocks for my backend? I have not been able to find any specifically for the 79 sx1100 special, but was wondering if there is any other type that would fit or a good place to begin looking. Any help you guys can offer will be appreciated. I plan to post some pictures very soon.
    Judgments prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

'79 xs1100 Special (All Blacked Out)

I have read on here that you do not want to go much lower than 11" on the shocks. I think Mikes XS has some, Progressive has some I am almost certain.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Do you know what the stock shock measurement is for the same bike 79 special?

Comment

I believe they all came with 12.5" shocks stock.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

You do want to match the shocks at least somewhat to the weight of the bike. Mike's shocks are designed for the 650 and that is about 150 lbs lighter than the 11. Yeah, I know lots of guys are running them but they can't be the best choice.

Check Ebay for some 11" lowering shocks for Sportsters. These weigh about 550 lbs, so they're a closer 'fit'. You'll find these new as well as almost new 'used' on there pretty regularly as guys buy them then don't like the rough ride. The Sportster shocks will work with some sleeves to 'adapt' the mounting holes and you can get that from McMaster-Carr.

Original length on these was 12.6".

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If you get a quick look, here is a possibility for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...item3efa7440ef

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Shocking revelations about MIkesXS Shocks vs. PNM!

MikesXS
              Shock Absorber Set Shock Absorber Set - (Monza Traditional) for 1974-84 XS/TX650's -Dual Progress-
              ive wound Chrome Springs & Long Black top shroud with black shock body.
              11.5" (292mm.) eye to eye., Includes preload wrench & set of eye rubbers.

Part #06-3608 $79.00 USD Set
              --------------------------------------------------
              Shock Absorber Set Shock Absorber Set - (Monza Traditional) for 1974-84 XS/TX650's -Dual Progress-
              ive wound Chrome Springs & Long Black top shroud with black shock body.
              12 3/4" (324mm.) eye to eye., Includes preload wrench & set of eye rubbers.

Part #06-3607 $79.00 USD Set

Partsnmore:
              SHOCK ABSORBERS
              Fits: XS1100S (78-81) All Models.
              Mounting Eye Center to Mounting Eye Center is 12 3/4 inches (325mm).
              High Quality Replacements
              Black, classic type shock body with 4 position spring
              pre-load adjustment. Progressive heavy duty chrome
              springs. Bushings, Inserts, washers, and spring preload
              wrench included.

$75.00US EA.

Part#06-3607

The dry stock weight of an XS650 is 483 lbs.
              The Dry Stock weight of an XS11 is 562 lbs.

That's only 80 lbs, and a majority of the weight on the rear is from the RIDER moreso than the actual bike
              aside from extras,like luggage and such. NOTE the model #s for the 12 3/4"length shocks from both Mikes and PNM,
              they are the SAME, same manufacturer, etc. so I would infer that the shorter 11.5" shocks would be and have the
              same dampening and load carrying characteristics as the slghtly longer shocks.

I have and still run the PNM style/brand but mine were JCW at the time.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

im curious on what it looks like post some pics
                1979 xs1100 aka Bobby

Comment

I'm running the 11.5" from MikeXS... The only thing I didn't like about them were the plastic collars... So I pressed out the metal collars from the stock bushings and used those instead... but the shocks hold up well with me and a passenger... More importantly... they hold up well with me and the bathtub full of stuff I pack on road trips... which usually outweighs my passenger...

Here are a couple of pics:

81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    The dry stock weight of an XS650 is 483 lbs.
                    The Dry Stock weight of an XS11 is 562 lbs.
                    The 650 must have gained some weight over time; I remember my '72 weighing roughly 450 wet and the 11 came in at about 600 wet.

Still, even using the above dry numbers that's about a 15% difference and may or may not make a difference in handling depending on how you ride. Progressive lists two different numbers for spring kits between the 650 and 1100, but that may have to do with length as much as weight. But on their 'other' shocks, you'll find that they offer different spring rates for different weight bikes even when the length is the same.

Their old site used to make comparing much easier, as you could put in a part number and see which bikes it fit. A 'heavy-duty' offering for one could be a 'standard' for a heavier bike. Made shopping the used market much easier, and is probably the reason they changed it....LOL!

I've never been a fan of 'one size fits all' parts as it usually means compromise somewhere.

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I may just get some 10 inch lowering struts. I was considering going rigid anyways, but with these I have the option of going back to shocks.
                      Judgments prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

'79 xs1100 Special (All Blacked Out)

Comment

"Chop whatca got"

Hello K,
                        Another option is to cut a couple of coils off the springs. If you can disassemble the shocks safely, they cut no prob. with a 4"grinder or cut off wheel. Check the length after reass'y with the height adjustment at the lowest setting so when you load up you can still raise the ride height. This process is trial and error untill you get the look without bottoming out.
                        Regards,
                        T
                        '81 H

Comment

Lets see a photo of your bike. I wasn't really trying to make my bike a bobber, but that is what most people call it when they see it. I am using the stock shocks because I am six foot tall and I hear that lowering the bike will put undue stress on the CV joint causing it to wear prematurely.

Sam Christensen
                          The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
                          If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Hey Steve,

Well, from him hinting at Hardtailing it, that's a big compromise in control and handling IMHO, and so putting on some eco shocks would be a bit better than the hardtail, and not a big hit on the wallet like the PROGRESSIVES would be. Was just looking and suggesting what would fit his desires and choices and pocketbook....I didn't think he was too terribly worried about any kind of sportbike style handling !?

T.C.

PS, Sam....looking mighty sharp there!
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C., anything would be better than a hardtail! And I'll agree, new Progressives aren't particularly cheap, even the 412 series. But underspringing a heavy bike like the XS could be nearly as bad, as when those short, light shocks bottom out and suddenly you have a hardtail when you least expect/need it. When somebody sells a 'one-size' solution for two bikes as different as the 650 and the 11, it's not gonna be 100% right on one of them. I understand that it's helpful to support vendors that are trying to supply parts for our XS's, but it doesn't mean eveything they sell is always the right choice either.

I suggested watching Ebay for a set of HD take-offs or overstocks. I got a near-new set of chrome 11" 412 Progressives (in the original box and all hardware) when the guy test-rode the bike a few blocks and realized just how hard the ride would be and pulled 'em right back off. Got 'em for $100 delivered to my door.

There's lots of HD Sportster/Dyna shocks on Ebay for cheap; I've seen them as low as $20 for OEM including shipping, are usually chrome, and all it takes is a little fiddlin' with bushings to make them fit the XS. These are much closer in weight to the XS (late Sporties run about 570 wet, Dynas about 620) so would be a better match IMO. I intend to look for some Dyna take-offs for mine....

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                              X