Gear Oil Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Oil Levels

Ok, when I change my engine, I changed out all the fluids at the same time. I didn't have a middle and final drive dipstick, and only had the picture available on the site. Of course I didn't get out a ruler, I just looked at the picture, and boy was I wrong about the size.

I finally broke down and ordered a new dipstick from my dealer, took about 5 days to get it here, and the first thing I did was check my middle drive right there in the dealers parking lot. It was WAY WAY WAY over full. So I got home and drained and refilled it, and checked the final drive and it was over full too. The dipstick is a LOT bigger than the picture implies. On the final drive I just siphoned out enough to get it down to where it belongs. I suspect that my gas mileage will improve, there has to be less resistance to rotation now!

My point is to not just look at the picture, but really, pay attention to the dimensions (or frankly go down to your dealer and get one, it's less than $10 and it appears well made, and flexes in the middle to make it easier to check the middle drive.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Didn't know you could still get 'em. Got part #s

I want some.

Comment

Yep, the part number is 2H7-2815A-00.

Got that right off the package it came out of.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks Cy

I been wanting me one.

Comment

I use a piece of carboard and my calipers. Bend the cardboard at about ten mm longer than the longest measurement. Then dip it in and measure to the oil mark.

I had the priveledge of working on a fellow members ride that is the original owner and has the full tool kit on the bike. Used the stock tool and it is very nice.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I use a measuring cup, more like a beaker, marked in ml, oz, cc. ( I did not steal it from the wife!)
            I simply pour in the appropriate quantities per the service manual. It works great for fork oil and mixing two stroke fuel as well.

I have the OEM dipstick, but haven't dug it out of the tool kit in a couple of years. And no, you can't have it.
            Last edited by oseaghdha; 11-30-2009, 07:57 AM.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

I just took a pair of scissors to an old beer can and made my own.
              Brian
              XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
              Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

I have the OEM dipstick, but haven't dug it out of the tool kit in a couple of years. And no, you can't have it.

You aren't using it but won't give it away either. Stingy azz... I'll just take it next trip to Bob's house.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  You aren't using it but won't give it away either. Stingy azz... I'll just take it next trip to Bob's house.

Tod
                  Cold Dead Fingers, Pal.

Besides, once you hit the beer fridge and clear the table, you won't remember anyway.
                  XS1100SF
                  XS1100F

Comment

I fill mine to what looks good, and let the excess blow out the vent when it gets warmed up. pushing around a few ounces of oil probably isn't going to make a spit in the ocean worth of difference in mileage.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Besides, once you hit the beer fridge and clear the table, you won't remember anyway.
                      How easy it would be to clip some vacuum advance wires... And while the bike was in pieces on the side of the road.. again......

But honestly... I just use Ivan's method. lol.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I put a 750FD on anothe rmembers bike and had loaded it with synthetic hypoid gear oil...75-100 wght I think. Anyway, after a very short ride, the oil looked like a fresh poured beer with a frothy head on it.

We changed it out for std hypoid 80-90 I think. So far no froth has been noticed. I wonder if it had been overfilled if that caused the frothing?
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Ran into an mid drive that was full of water back a month ago. It had been used for 300+ miles that way, mostly highway . We swapped it out with another unit, not to take a chance. Now I have a leaking one to work on (79 F). I'll use the capacity method to fill it with half synthetic. BTW, a popsicle stick cut narrower, with a couple pen marks works well for a forkin dipstick.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            I put a 750FD on anothe rmembers bike and had loaded it with synthetic hypoid gear oil...75-100 wght I think. Anyway, after a very short ride, the oil looked like a fresh poured beer with a frothy head on it.

We changed it out for std hypoid 80-90 I think. So far no froth has been noticed. I wonder if it had been overfilled if that caused the frothing?
                            I'm running 75-140 Royal Purple in both the middle drive and the final drive. Seems to work great. Less gear whine too.

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            Ran into an mid drive that was full of water back a month ago. It had been used for 300+ miles that way, mostly highway . We swapped it out with another unit, not to take a chance. Now I have a leaking one to work on (79 F). I'll use the capacity method to fill it with half synthetic. BTW, a popsicle stick cut narrower, with a couple pen marks works well for a forkin dipstick.
                            I filled mine capacity method also. I just feel better being able to check it once in a while.

Where do you put the pen marks, where the orange stops and the dirty finger prints start?

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                              Where do you put the pen marks, where the orange stops and the dirty finger prints start?
                              Well, there's a kids joke on one side, so it would have to be on the other side. Problem is, after laughing so hard, sometimes I'll put the stick down into the MD, drop it, and it 's a gonner. It gets pulverized by the gears, then guess what? A leak.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X