Speedometer fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer fix

After having the original speedo on the SF start making noises and then breaking the needle from bouncing around, I picked up another replacement.

2 weeks later, same thing. So I opened it up and fixed the needle. Looked like the main problem was that the cable driven shaft had went un-lubricated and finally started sticking. Cleaned out what I could with some spray brake cleaner while I had it apart. Then lubed everything up. Problem was, how to get some grease in and around that shaft with out busting apart everything.

Had an old speedo cable outer sheath laying on the shelf. Cut it off 10" from the speedo nut. Cleaned it out. Found a grease zert fitting from an old broken needle greaser that fit right into the cable. The sheath had some wear holes on the plastic cover so I slid some heat shrink over it.

Lubed up the one on the SF that I repaired. Needle is real stable now.
    Richard

I use a scavenged eye dropper bulb. One of the big ones for putting medicine in an infant's mouth, fits right over it and with it packed full of lubriplate, it does a heck of a job.

Yours looks cool though, mine, not so much..

Oh, and if you have no need for your old broken speedo, I have been wanting one to take apart that wouldn't be bad if it wouldn't' go back together. Hoping to figure out a way to tweak the spring tension so the speed shows right, but really don't want to go speedoless if I mess it up.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

The only thing I'd fear by shooting regular grease in there is how grease gets dry and waxy over time.

You're idea is cool though and I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but when mine did that, I stuck the straw from a spray can of silicone.. gave it a couple shots, screwed the cable back on and no more noise. That was about a year ago?

Also, be careful about brake or carb cleaners as some will melt the plastic.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ivan-
        but really don't want to go speedoless if I mess it up.
        Thanks Ivan,That isn't an image we need to think about.lol
        As a matter of fact ,I doubt we want to see you in a speedo either.

On a more XSive note,I lubed the speedometer on my old SG with a q-tip.
        I used a little white lithum grease.I just greased the gears though IIRC.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

The one I fixed looks to be running 5mph slow. I'm gonna try marking where everything is at, pull the needle and reset it 5mph more.
          The other I still have open. I'm going to test it before I put the cover back on it and make adjustments if needed.

The first one I did, I upset the bezel a bit(still need to straighten it out). Second one I found a large hose clamp and wrapped it to keep from upsetting it. I was going ot hang onto it for a spare.

Not sure what I'd do for a square one. Maybe 2 hose clamps?

My XS750 runs 5mph fast. guess I'll live with it.

Yea, I thought about the grease as well, didn't have any thing else but wheel bearing grease, so I used that. While the one was open, I tested how much a pump pushed into it after I filled my hose up so I didn't get too much in the base of the speedo.

I was pretty careful with the brake cleaner, I just wanted to make sure I had all the debris out of it, and there was a bunch.
          Richard

Comment

On a more XSive note,I lubed the speedometer on my old SG with a q-tip.
            I used a little white lithum grease.I just greased the gears though IIRC.

Yeah, I took mine apart twice trying to get it to quit squalling. Greased all the gears.. etc. Finally figured out it was the part at the bottom of the housing where your cable screws into. A couple shots of the silicone up in there and the problem went away.

I tested how much a pump pushed into it after I filled my hose up so I didn't get too much in the base of the speedo.
            When you fill it to the 30mph mark... it's full!

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own