starter relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter relay

Okay, so i have been wrenching away tonight in the garage, and i was trying to clean the contact on the starter relay, and it broke. damn. went to mikesxs, but they only have a starter relay for the 650....anyone have any thoughts? help please. i really want to hear my bike start again. i fixed the spark plug wire, and put in new plugs and i just want the damn thing to start....
    1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Originally posted by 1st bike View Post
    Okay, so i have been wrenching away tonight in the garage, and i was trying to clean the contact on the starter relay, and it broke. damn. went to mikesxs, but they only have a starter relay for the 650....anyone have any thoughts? help please. i really want to hear my bike start again. i fixed the spark plug wire, and put in new plugs and i just want the damn thing to start....
    Hi 1st,
    the XS650 relay will work fine. So will a used one from a wrecked car so long as it can be made to fit under the side cover.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'm guessing you've heard the deal about Mike's XS, right?

Anything you buy, don't ask / don't tell that it's for an 11... they get upset.

Lots of 650 parts he sells will work on the 11...
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

here is my concern. the one on my bike now is square, the one for the 650 is round. we are sure it is going to work? and i didn't know i wasn't supposed to tell them it was for an 11. i actually emailed them and asked. they did get back to me, so i guess i got a pass on that the first time! thanks again to everyone for all the help!!

Comment

You can get one here

https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index...ory=electrical

Comment

A Ford 4 terminal solenoid from Autozone will gost about $10 and will take three times the amperage a motorcycle battery can put out. Its the same thing, just bigger and shaped different. The battery wire terminals will go on the big posts and the blue and white wire on the S terminal, and the other small wire on the remaining terminal. If that blows a fuse, try reversing the small wires.

this is my plan if my solenoid ever craps out on me.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by 1st bike View Post
              here is my concern. the one on my bike now is square, the one for the 650 is round. we are sure it is going to work?
              Hmmm....the one on both of my 81 model specials is round, so it seems you have a replacement already perhaps.

Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

The solenoid on both of my 79's are the square type. In 81 they started changing things around ready to switch over to the XJ line.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Very interesting Phil, not doubting what you say in the least. However, the parts fiche shows the same part number for the SF, the SG and the SH. It seems unlikely that this part was replaced on both bikes either yours or mine though.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

The front of the unit is square, but the rear part that goes into the mounting rubber is round. The later models must use a different mounting rubber. The 650 unit should work and fit into either mount, the way I see it.

2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

bikerphil's is exactly what mine looks like. apparently i can get the part new from my dealer (I got hosed again, but this, like everything else is life, is learning, and that is the LAST thing i buy from them) parts n more had a great price, and between that and mikesxs i hope to save myself the price of a small house over what my dealer charges me. I am used to working on cars, and i can just run to auto zone for pretty much everything, but this is a whole different world...they don't have half of what i need...2 quarts of motorcycle oil when the bike needs three...stuff like that. but it is a process and i have all winter (supposed to snow here on thanksgiving...)

i would be lost without you all, thanks so very very much!

Comment

For all I know mine are BOTH replacements.

Yep 1st. The dealer is typically the LAST resort for me. Even when I get somewhat hosed on ebay deals it still beats the snot out of the dealer.

Most of what I know about these bikes I learned right here from very smart guys like Bikerphil and the other talented folks here. Read all you can including ALL the tech tips need it or not, and do your own work and you will be surprised how much this site can teach you, I know I am shocked how much I have learned and feel comfortable doing with the bike now.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                        X