Exhaustive exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaustive exhaust

I am trying to find an “economical way” to deal with the exhaust on the project bike.

It came with stock pipes that looked decent was planning to paint them. Then I removed them and found pieces of the baffle of one side falling out in my hands and more rattling inside. The headers are all decent and could be painted without looking to horrible. So I am considering getting mufflers from somewhere to repair this system. Here is how it is welded up right now.

Option 2, I was gifted by another member a 4-1 system that has no baffles and one of the headers has a large dent in the bottom of it. We do not know the manufacture of this system and would appreciate any input. Would like to know if I can buy a baffle to install. Right now I can look in the end of the muffler and see the collector. I know nothing about internals of the exhaust systems on these things….yet.

I blew it and missed a deal on OldBikeBarn for a new Mac system and
    I just missed a Kerker 4-1 on ebay, but it went for over $100 plus shipping. Which may tell you where my wallet is at on this one.

Appreciate any suggestions.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Hey Don,
    I bought some baffles for my Victory , Thunder Monster baffles(bigcitythunder.com).My pipes were too loud and the manufacturer of the pipes didn't offer baffles for them.
    I don't know if they have something you could use or not, but it's worth a shot.
    They make a lot of different baffles.
    Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Question

I suppose the first thing we need to know is how much you would want to pay? Unfortunatlely, this is one of the bigger expenses of the XS simply because of limited availability.
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

That exhaust looks like the S&S to me.

There's a list of XS1100 exhausts (with pics) here

(and if you find any exhausts not listed please let me know, I'll add them)
        Brian
        XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
        Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Lamric, I think you nailed it on the manufac of that exhaust. I looked closer at the number two header tonight and it has tears where the pipe split from the dent put in it. Can't beat the price so not to worried. You have some awesome info on the UK site as well. Those gasket templates are the bomb shinizzle!!! Used one for my cam chain tensioner and it worked great!!

Now for the detective work so far on the stock system. I figured it was dorked up no matter what, so may as well cut it off and see what I could see. Well first thing a piece of the "inner" pipe came out and looked like it had been through a war Note the piece on the right next to the pile of bricks.

So I looked up into the muffler and found that someone had gone in through the crossover pipe and beat, banged and tore the crap out of the innerds for some god for saken reason!! Sorry, best picture I could get with the equipment I have on hand.

So, I got all the remnants of this pounded up metal to come out and the actual baffles look to be ok. Now for the interesting thought, what will be the result of running this pipe without the inner pipe/liner for the first 10" or so in front of the crossover pipe? What about section down inside that is bent inward that will cause some turbulance and back pressure not intended? Not sure it will be enough to matter really. My biggest worry is that the lack of the inner pipe/liner will let the outer get to hot and possible ruin any paint or chrome (if it can be saved) I doubt it would actually melt the outer steel.

Thoughts??
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

How much is economical

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            I am trying to find an “economical way” to deal with the exhaust on the project bike.

It came with stock pipes that looked decent was planning to paint them. Then I removed them and found pieces of the baffle of one side falling out in my hands and more rattling inside. The headers are all decent and could be painted without looking to horrible. So I am considering getting mufflers from somewhere to repair this system. Here is how it is welded up right now.

Option 2, I was gifted by another member a 4-1 system that has no baffles and one of the headers has a large dent in the bottom of it. We do not know the manufacture of this system and would appreciate any input. Would like to know if I can buy a baffle to install. Right now I can look in the end of the muffler and see the collector. I know nothing about internals of the exhaust systems on these things….yet.

I blew it and missed a deal on OldBikeBarn for a new Mac system and
            I just missed a Kerker 4-1 on ebay, but it went for over $100 plus shipping. Which may tell you where my wallet is at on this one.

Appreciate any suggestions.
            I just Found The New Exhaust system for the XS - XJ maxim - 4 to 2 or 4 to 1
            they can be found at Macperformance.com $389 to $450

Comment

Originally posted by Lamric View Post
              That exhaust looks like the S&S to me.

There's a list of XS1100 exhausts (with pics) here

(and if you find any exhausts not listed please let me know, I'll add them)
              Nice to see you over here Brian! welcome

DG, I came across this on ebay. But you've probably aready seen it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...Q5fAccessories

Comment

www.nichecycle.com They are in St. Petersburg Florida. I spoke to MAC Peformance a few days ago and they are getting a large shipment of Yamaha pipes in stock the middle of next week.

Comment

Working...
                X