Poison Rally Weekend South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poison Rally Weekend South Africa

Me and the Wife are preparing for the yearly poison rally. Obviously we are going with Bones, so need to get the bags and cases going. What bags and cases would keep the nice XS look.

I looked at a 25litre rear box, but that will kill the bikes look even before I add it on.

Open for suggestions and possibly pictures.

Looked at vetters site, but don't see any cases or bags that jumps up
    '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
    1196 Big Bore
    4-1 Cowley exhaust
    750FD Conversion
    Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
    Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
    BMX footpegs
    Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
    GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
    Anti Sticky float bowl system

You're probably going to have to move your rear turn signals back to accomodate the bags. Here's a pic of the brochure for the 81H Tourer. Note where the turn signals are located - not sure what size the bags are.

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Here's a good pic of the proper tail light setup. I don't know who's bike it is, but it sure is pretty.

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

If you're looking at turning your XS into a tourer, there are many options, but there are no "off-the-shelf" modern options. You will need to find a period-specific setup, with the proper mounting hardware. There are two main options, and several others. The Pacifico setup that came on the original '78 touring package, and the Vetter version. One thing to be aware of is the Vetter saddlebags tend to get in the way of the passenger footpegs. The trunk, however, makes for a nice passenger back-rest.

Neither of these options have been manufactured for about 30 years, but used pieces are readily available on e-bay.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

"but there are no "off-the-shelf" modern options"

Closest is a complete Vetter tourpak set. They made hundreds of thousands of them and most used bike parts places have several laying around. Tough part is getting the mounts.

For our bikes it would be the Vetter Windjammer IV w/ lowers, tourpak bags and trunk. The Yamaha ones had square lights for the std, as did some of the Kawasaki sets. You can add case guards and running boards if you wish.

You can look at them on Ebay, just to get an idea what i am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VETTE...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VETTE...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vette...Q5fAccessories

Windjammer SS and IV are virtually the same. You could use a Windjammer III, if you find a nice one, and then use your stock signal lights on it.
          Last edited by Crazcnuk; 11-16-2009, 04:28 AM.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Here is a picture of the set from Vetter's website"

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Onl...ent_Parts.html

'05 ST1300

Comment

You can use soft/throwover bags very easily. No need to move indicators.

These ones are made by Oxford and the model is Sovereign. They will also unzip and expand further out but I've never needed to do this.
              Brian
              XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
              Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                "but there are no "off-the-shelf" modern options"

Closest is a complete Vetter tourpak set. They made hundreds of thousands of them and most used bike parts places have several laying around. Tough part is getting the mounts.
                Yep, especially since they didn't mark what the mounts were for. I have seen some NOS available on ebay though, but you have to catch them when they come on because they go fast.

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                Windjammer SS and IV are virtually the same. You could use a Windjammer III, if you find a nice one, and then use your stock signal lights on it.
                Yep, that's why my spare fairing is. I have a IV on the bike and a III sitting in the carport as a spare. (or to go on a second bike if I find one)
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Found a rear top case that will do part of the trick.

Now just need panniers to go with it.
                  '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
                  1196 Big Bore
                  4-1 Cowley exhaust
                  750FD Conversion
                  Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
                  Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
                  BMX footpegs
                  Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
                  GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
                  Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

If you find some cases from another model bike, making your own custom brackets is not that big a deal if you are good with fabrication. I made custom bag mounts for my stock XS bags. I didn't like the look of all that framework around them. The trunk pictured above I see on scooters here in the US, but not on motorcycles.
                    Last edited by bikerphil; 11-16-2009, 07:31 PM.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

For most bags, the actual frame is the same for most applications. The only thing that changes, usually, are little metal pieces that go from the mount frame to an appropriate place on the bike.

These can usually be fabricated in a few minutes. Sometimes it just means extending the piece an inch or two, or drilling an extra hole.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                      X