Hopefully you guys can finally see Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully you guys can finally see Bones

Going to try and post a pic of Bones (My bike)

The guys on that site only found out about Bones now.
    '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
    1196 Big Bore
    4-1 Cowley exhaust
    750FD Conversion
    Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
    Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
    BMX footpegs
    Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
    GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
    Anti Sticky float bowl system

That's a standard E/F chassis, not a special.....

Although the motor doesn't look original; that looks like it's a 'sport' model.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Definitely a standard, 78 or 79. Should be able to research the VIN to know for sure. The brake rotors are not slotted which for sure indicates one of those two years. Good looking bike none the less.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Traced it down to a '79 XS11002H9 and then also referenced it according to the wiring to a '79 XS1100SF.

Yes she still closes her clocks when I am in a hurry.

Thanks, When the spray job is done and the side panels are fixed and sprayed, the aluminum polished and the frame redone, she will be a beauty.

I am in between if I want to fit a bigger oil cooler. According to me she runs a tad hot to my liking.
        1196 Big Bore
        4-1 Cowley exhaust
        750FD Conversion
        BMX footpegs

Comment

Looks pretty sweet. I particularly like the upholstery job on the seat. On the oil cooler - I had an aftermarket cooler on mine which I removed. Didn't notice much difference in the temp.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

They all run a tad hot, especially in city situations with a lot of stop and go traffic. I had an oil cooler on mine but unfortunately the aftermarker Kerkers I put on forced me to take the cooler off. There was not enough clearance between the adapter that fits on the oil filter housing and the pipes.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Upholstery is getting redone. Remaking it into a corbin. Spoke to my upholstery contact today and he told me it will be a simple sponge add-on and then a good covering. Heck he is the upholsterer, and that is why I take it to him. I am considering a diamond stitch again same as it is now. He quoted me R850 for the build-up, single diamond stitching and the upholstering, and R550 without the diamond stitching.

That makes it about $85 with stiching and about $55 without the stitching. Still cheaper to get it made than to get it from Corbin or E-bay
              1196 Big Bore
              4-1 Cowley exhaust
              750FD Conversion
              BMX footpegs

Comment

Yes, noticed there is not alot of space in there. Conidered fitting a split unit, where I have two seperate oilcoolers running inline. So would end up having one at the current position and the other somewhere else. Was thinking maybe where my airbox used to be.

Added advantage is I can tell everyone I have a seat warmer if I use that space for the seperate unit.
                1196 Big Bore
                4-1 Cowley exhaust
                750FD Conversion
                BMX footpegs

Comment

Do you know how you're jetted? I've got basically the same setup as yours with 147.5 mains and 45 pilots, and it runs real good and the temps in the right range - 220 to 250 degrees (depending on ambient temp) measured at the header with an infrared thermometer. A lean condition will make them run hot too. JAT

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

K, lemme explain why I think it runs to hot. I might be wrong, and might be normal. I am going to speak of kilometers per hour, so I think it is divide by 2.58 to get miles (roughly).

I work about 35km from home. I have about 3km suburb, then open road (highway) about 25km, and then the rest suburb again.

Leaving home up to the highway I do about 60 to 80kmph. As soon as I hit freeway I run her between 120 and 140kmph. Then about halfway on the next suburb part (Doing between 60 to 80kmph) I can actually sit on the bike and feel the heat on my legs from the motor.

I cant see this being normal. Else I will need to consider fitting an electric fan onto the oil cooler that kicks in at a certain temperature.

O, on the way back home, I never really felt the heat I just spoke of now. But at that time there is little to no traffic, so do about 140kmph almost all the way.
                    1196 Big Bore
                    4-1 Cowley exhaust
                    750FD Conversion
                    BMX footpegs

Comment

I will need to check the jets for you, I had the carbs off this morning to set carb 2's float, so far she is not leaking. I will pull the carbs off next weekend and check the jets. I am also putting her on the machines again this week, so will check the lean / rich mixture this week.
                      1196 Big Bore
                      4-1 Cowley exhaust
                      750FD Conversion
                      BMX footpegs

Comment

Originally posted by Athedra View Post
                        Traced it down to a '79 XS11002H9 and then also referenced it according to the wiring to a '79 XS1100SF. - - -
                        I am in between if I want to fit a bigger oil cooler. According to me she runs a tad hot to my liking.
                        Hi Athedra,
                        according to the data on this list, XS2H9xxx is a '79 Standard and Bones' photo sure looks like a Standard, straight-down forks, big tank, bumstop seat etc.
                        Not that some parts don't swap, my own Special wears a Standard tank these days.
                        this older photo

shows why my bike mostly don't need an oil cooler but the rig was also running with no oil cooler in 105ºF temperatures in Montana and the crew suffered far more in the heat than the bike did.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Athedra View Post
                          K, lemme explain why I think it runs to hot. I might be wrong, and might be normal. I am going to speak of kilometers per hour, so I think it is divide by 2.58 to get miles (roughly). - - -
                          about halfway on the next suburb part (Doing between 60 to 80kmph) I can actually sit on the bike and feel the heat on my legs from the motor.I cant see this being normal. - - -
                          Hi Athedra,
                          100kph = 62mph. The divisor is 1.61 and the multiplier is 0.62.
                          North American XS11s only have oil coolers as an optional extra so mostly they don't have them.
                          And yes, I do feel a wash of heat when slowing from highway to city speeds in hot weather.
                          Normal? I dunno but it happens.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

AHA, will note the divisor down, thanks.

She is a beauty. Would love to get me a side car, but here in SA, I have a better chance of walking into a Yamaha store and buy a original rear wheel needle bearing of the shelve than finding a side car for mine.

Yes also dont know if it is normal temperature wise. I also cant find reference as to what temperatures they should be running on. I will look into the possible lean running during the week, and if it stil does that, and she is jetted correctly, then I will look into fitting a split oil cooler system just incase.

Here on a cool day we have a temperature of about 26 degrees celcius, and on a hot day we hit 26 degrees by 10am and it can run up to 32 and higher. We have very high temperatures over here, and that is why I always ended up with heat seizes on the two strokes. Don't want a heat seize with this one.

The thing that switched us over to the XS1100SF is the wiring. The wiring I have on this one corresponds with the SF. It's all still under heavy investigation, since my paperwork originally told me it is a '81 XS1100H. Engine and VIN corresponds, and according to that it is a '79 XS1100 standard, but the wiring corresponds with the SF. Confusion over this little bike, but am sure that in the end we will solve this riddle.
                            1196 Big Bore
                            4-1 Cowley exhaust
                            750FD Conversion
                            BMX footpegs

Comment

I know what your talking about with the heat on your legs thing. I get the same thing. Could just be the way the air flows around these bikes - they're air cooled, and the heat has to go somewhere. You might try an infrared thermo (they're pretty cheap) on the motor to double check. JAT

I've put my infrared on a number of XS's and they all seem to run in the same range - 220 -250 degrees F, depending on ambient air temp, measured at the top of the header pipes.
                              Last edited by dbeardslee; 11-15-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X