Tank cap rubber gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank cap rubber gasket

I have a 81 XS1100 special. I am working on cleaning rust off from inside. In the process, I noticed that the rubber gasket under the chrome cap is cracked and needs replacement. I ordered a screw-on aftermarket cap, but I have a feeling that it wont work as the OEM is a "press-down" mechanism...

Did anyone use a gasket for a certain car or something other than the OEM replacement rubber gasket? Did anybody have a luck using an after-market cap?
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

You may find the gasket from a late XS650 will fit. If that's the case, it's available new. www.mikesxs.com

2M0-24641-00-00 for XS1100SH

2M0-24641-00-00 for XS650SH

I did your research. They are the same.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Just replaced the one on my special with one from MikesXS. No more leaks when full .
      Richard

Comment

home depot plumbing washer

There is a thread that tells the plumbing part number available at any big hardware, plumbing supply store. I went to home depot, took the tank cap and found quite a few that fit the cap and seal nicely. I dont have the number, but if you want a cheap, quick fix just go the plumbing section, match up the diameter of the cap and for less than a buck its done. Mines been on going on 4 years and still looks like new, and seals fine. Regards, Mike in Sun Diego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          - - - www.mikesxs.com
          - - I did your research. They are the same.
          Hi dont,
          Marty's right, the MikesXS part fits perfectly. The fun part is removing the old one. Ignore the 3 screws in the seal's face, those ain't what holds it on, take them out and throw them away.
          Take the gas cap apart by removing the screws that hold the lock in then the inner sheetmetal piece that holds the seal can be snapped out. The metal centre part the seal mounts on is held by an E-ring. Squeeze the seal down against the spring to let you get at the E-ring and pry it off. Now you have the old seal and it's centre piece in your hand. Pry the old rubber off the centre piece, slip on the replacement and reassemble.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred,

Now, I re-read your post and really appreciate it. I unscrewed the three tiny screws to no avail. I will play with the lock-holding mechanism to see what pops out.
            dontlikeoc
            1981 XS1100 Special Edition
            Alhambra, CA

Comment

Working...
            X