Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kmccaslan View Post
    I am excited...one more question, no problems for you guys who have done it with the bike overheating? I had a friend tell me it ruined his bike becuase it began to overheat after he sprayed it. Any insight you guys can offer will be acknowledged!
    For that to have happened he would have had to have used an insulating paint. Most paint is both thin enough and effective enough at transmitting heat to have little to no effect.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Man, you just never see an engine painted all black.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Don't want to go to all the masking trouble?

Paint it with a brush. I did this on my 650 twin Yammy, and it worked great (I'd only recommend using black). Way easier than spray paint, and held up better to boot. I did remove the larger stuff to get better access. With a brush, you can get paint into the nooks and crannies better and by brushing it in, small amounts of 'stuff' that you probably couldn't get out will be 'moved'; spray paint will just lay on top of this and start peeling.

If you're planning on doing the cases, those should be sprayed. But for doing the barrels/head or any finned areas, this is the way to go as far as I'm concerned

Look for a semi-gloss black oil based paint. Cure by running the motor up to temp, then shutting it off. Repeat until the paint smell goes mostly away.

With a bit of occasional touch-up, this lasted 4 years until I sold the bike. And touch-up was a snap too.

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          Athedra, most of the US models do not have an oil cooler.

If it helps, the 81 models had the jugs painted from the factory along with the valve cover. As mentioned, the edges of the fins were bare aluminum but I think ti was more for show than heat transfer. Heat transfer is about surface, air flow, and temp difference. Not much area on the edges of the fins to transfer heat so no real gain in it.
          Don't have oil coolers? What gives with that?. I think during manufacturing they fitted the ugliest one in the factory on mine.
          '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
          1196 Big Bore
          4-1 Cowley exhaust
          750FD Conversion
          Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
          Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
          BMX footpegs
          Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
          GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
          Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Originally posted by Athedra View Post
            Don't have oil coolers? What gives with that?. I think during manufacturing they fitted the ugliest one in the factory on mine.
            No need for an oil cooler in most US locations. Some of the desert areas might benefit, but the air-cooled engine does a fine job all by itslef in most cases.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

I am guessing that during the "baking" process I need to uncover the carbs if I have them wrapped. Is this correct? I was planning on using saran wrap to get them good and covered...let me know if you guys think saran wrap would be an okay material to wrap them before spraying.
              Judgments prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

'79 xs1100 Special (All Blacked Out)

Comment

Blue masking tape and news paper is all you need to mask. find as many sizes if the tape as you can, you will need it.
                Dan
                Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Originally posted by Kmccaslan View Post
                  I am guessing that during the "baking" process I need to uncover the carbs if I have them wrapped. Is this correct? I was planning on using saran wrap to get them good and covered...let me know if you guys think saran wrap would be an okay material to wrap them before spraying.
                  Hi Mac,
                  if you are going to "cure" the paint with engine heat, it for sure won't run with the carbs wrapped, eh?
                  But to paint the motor take 'em off fer chrissake, if you ain't cleaned 'em yet it will need doing anyway.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I resprayed my midnight and did most of what everyone is suggesting on this forum. The fins are easily masked off and kept the look when I was finished. The spray bomb paint I used was found at the hardware store. I used the semi flat that is sold for touching up barbeque grills. It is high temp and looks great on my bike. I have had it on there for six years now and none has flaked off. It took a bit for it to completely cure.
                    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X