• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wandering...

Will the head off a '78 XS1100 work on an '80 xs 1100? TIA. Later 'Dog

Originally posted by scalded dog View Post
    Just wandering...
    Where are you going? As far as I've read the "newer" engines had a bigger dome on the pistons so maybe not.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Yes it will,but the consensus is you will probably want to use the correct cams for the head you are using.Otherwise performance may suffer.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Don't think it has anything to do with the cams, but the pistons are different from early ro late model to make up compression.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The 80 and later heads are deeper than the early heads and like Cnuk stated, they made the pistons with a bigger dome to compensate and give back some of the compression (not all of it, but some).

I have heard of others using the early head on the late model engine to boost compression. If you search on it I believe Dr. Dan Hodges has provided some documented experiences he has conducted personally on the subject.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess "wondering" is the correct spelling. LOL. I will try to research some of the info on here. Later 'Dog

Comment

The early heads will give more compression but smaller valves. Sort of a sideways move, rather than an upgrade. However, I think the early head will work fine, if that is what you have on hand.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The '78 motor still runs, but smokes a lot, this was how I found out what happens when gas, unknowingly. gets in the oil, but I was thinking the head would still be ok. The '80 special skips on #3 piston. Thanks for the reply. Later 'Dog

Comment

The '78 motor still runs, but smokes a lot, this was how I found out what happens when gas, unknowingly
                  Actually,gas in the oil can burn the bearings and start to knock before it throws a rod.It won't make it smoke unless you leave the gas in it,because then it is too thin and the oil will pass the rings.So if that is the problem and it didn't smoke before,put clean oil and filter on it and run it a while and see if it stops smoking.Unless it knocks too,then by all means use the head off that one to fix other.
                  Also,have you determined for sure that the 80 motor actually misses from having a bad head/valve?
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

i think i have a good head laying around...i imagine its for an '80 due to it coming with 'Sunshine and the spare motor she came with.... where do you live?
                    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                    Windjammer(wiring issues)
                    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                    New paint/brakes to come!!
                    ===============
                    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                    ===============
                    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                    Stock Pilots/125 mains
                    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                    LED Brake Lite
                    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

I live in Georgia. How much would you sell it for? Shipping would be a little expensive. Later 'Dog

Comment

Working...
                      X