oil/rear tail light is ON!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil/rear tail light is ON!!!!

well it was on the other day befor it put her away but it would come and go....seems the lide would fade in and then fade out..... but as soon as i hit the rear brake pedal it went away. so maybe a stuck brake switch?????? but not right befor i was ready to go for a ride i let her warm up good and i went about 1 block and it came on..... i tryed to hit the rear brake to see if switch was sticking and it didnt help...so i turned it off and then turned it back on it was still on. so i turned around and parked her......will i have to take the motor out to get to the oil pump? or has anybody else had this problem? and is there away to put an oil pressure gadge on the xs?
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

You don't have to pull the engine to get to the oil pump. You do have to remove the pan. Before you go that far though, you might loosen one of the banjo fittings on the oil delivery pipe that runs across the back of the motor, hit the starter, and see if oil comes squirting out where you loosened the fitting. If you're getting oil there, it might be the oil sending unit (under the carbs, center of the motor) malfunctioning, or a short in the wiring.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
      well it was on the other day befor it put her away but it would come and go....seems the lide would fade in and then fade out..... but as soon as i hit the rear brake pedal it went away. so maybe a stuck brake switch?????? but not right befor i was ready to go for a ride i let her warm up good and i went about 1 block and it came on..... i tryed to hit the rear brake to see if switch was sticking and it didnt help...so i turned it off and then turned it back on it was still on. so i turned around and parked her......will i have to take the motor out to get to the oil pump? or has anybody else had this problem? and is there away to put an oil pressure gadge on the xs?
      Your post is a bit hard to understand.

If you hit the rear brake and the light went out then it's probably the switch down by the master cyl for the rear brakes. down by where the pedal hooks in.

You dont need to remove the engine to get to the oil pump. The oil pan comes off fairly easily. The bolts in the oil pump have been known to loosen up.

It happened to XJOK2PLAY on his XJ and he fixed it in a parking lot during a run.

Word of the day "LOCKTITE"

Comment

ill give you guys and update here in a little bit im going to try to loosin the banjo bolt and hit the starter....if it does squirt out ill try to clean the oil sending unit maybe it needs to be clean same with the brake switch ill clean that to if that is/ or is not bad
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Its the light checker!

There is a light checker under the left side cover. it tells you when the rear light is bad,unless like mine it is bad itself! Then it does what you described. To fix it I unhooked the black/red wire going into it. Now the cluster light is only a oil sender light.
          Just have to keep an eye on the tail light.

Comment

There is a light checker under the left side cover. it tells you when the rear light is bad,unless like mine it is bad itself! Then it does what you described. To fix it I unhooked the black/red wire going into it. Now the cluster light is only a oil sender light.
            Just have to keep an eye on the tail light.

well i guess that was it....whatever it did it not on now....and also i lossened the bolt and it didnt squirt out right away but after the 2nd push it did...lol bad thing is now i got to clean up the oil mess....ohhh well

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

the SAME EXACT thing is happening to me. Just havent had time to mess with it or ride since I have no back tire!
              Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
              1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
              XJ maxim rear air shocks
              KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
              Pod Filters

Money pit.......
              BLACKED OUT

Comment

Working...
              X