Engine Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Bolt

So I am hopefully nearing the end of the pieces to remove from my project bike. The engine guards are pretty nasty looking, so I am pulling them and planning to paint them.

The problem I have run into is that the PO completely rounded off the bottom front engine mount bolt which also holds on the bottom of the engine guard. It also looks like they might have welded the nut into place. So, my question is, do I need to special order a replacement bolt for this? Will any grade eight bolt work? Any great ideas on how to get out a round headed bolt with a bunch or torque on it? Vice Grips won't hold it enough to break it lose.

Thanks for any info!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Hey DGxser,

I would think the Grade 8 bolt would be just fine. If you are going to replace the bolt anyways, why bother trying to wrench the nut off, just get your Dremmel or grinder with a cut off wheel, and it'll be off in a few seconds!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

DG, it's not a "special" bolt, probably just a 10mm x 1.25 pitch of the correct length. That bolt is down in a tight area, so for removing the bolt, could first try hammering on a smaller size socket (13mm?). Then there's the old hammer and chisel trick to spin the head. Cutting a slot in the head to fit a wide flathead bit on an impact driver might also work. Just some suggestions, HTH
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

When you have a rounded bolt one of the best ways is to use these, unfortunatly they are not the cheapest way to go. They do work well.

http://www.stanleyproto.com/default....tor+Socket+Set

http://www.stanleyproto.com/showPic....20Socket%20Set
        Last edited by Rasputin; 11-08-2009, 01:35 AM. Reason: additional info
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

That bolt is in pretty tight, so I doubt a screw driver will be the answer. It is in a tight spot and I can just see me hammering on the chisel and punching through the engine case when it slips. i will definitely try hammering on the smaller socket though, their craftsman so if the socket gives first it is a free replacement.

The only problem I forsee with the dremel work of grinding it off is then getting in there to grind off the nut as well since the dumb sodding idiot welded it in. The amount if "fun" that can be created in thirty years of people owning something is amazing.

Oh well, another round of fun, and a trip to the hardware store. But at least it is going to be 65 deg today so I can ride to the hardware store and maybe take a couple hour detour while I am out.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

The local Sears hardware store by me just closed because of high rent issues!I would try to chisel or cut it off!Good Luck!
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Tried the 13 mm socket and it would not go on it, the fractional inch size between them went on but just continued the rounding process. Sooo....The dremel won the battle of the bolt. About four of their cutoff wheels later, but it was much to tight for my 4" grinder. A nice long trip to the hardware store and I have shiney new bolt with washers and a lock washer in that spot.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Good Job!Love the dremel tool for things like that.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Don - I've got two tools in the mancave that might help. One is a nut buster that will break a rounded nut in two. The other is a craftsman bolt out set - works kind of like an EZ Out. I used them to get a lug nut off my Jeep that was completely rounded off and really frozen on good. I pounded a bolt out over the bolt with a 3 pound sledge, and used a 4' breaker bar to pop it loose. If you have enough access to the bolt, it shouldn't be a problem. If you want to borrow them, you know the way .

I should really read things more closely - looks like you already solved the problem. Good job.
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                  X