Carb Cleaning questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaning questions

Hey guys a few more questions about cleaning the carbs. How exactly do I clean the needle and seats? How do I tell the two main jets from the others and what carbs are the main jet carbs? This is probably a stupid question but I'm not that bright when it comes to maintenance on these old bikes. You guys have some great information and are very helpful and don't mind helping someone out. Thank you all.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24955

check this thread out, very enlightening on what you are wondering
    1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

Carefully remove the float pins and floats. The needles will just lift out. Make sure you keep the needles and the seats they were in together. On a '79 special you'll need a 10mm socket to remove the seat - it looks like a bolt with a hole in it - it's the place the needles came out of. The main jets will be on top of a tower in the center of the carb, and should have some printing on them that will tell you the size. They're round with a screwdriver slot in them. If they're stock they should be 137.5's. Might need to use a magnifying glass to read them. There's another tower right next to the mains with a screw in it. Underneath the screw you will find the pilot jets. To clean them you can soak them in carb cleaner, or just blowing them out good with carb cleaner usually works. For the seats, make sure you clean the fuel orifices underneath with carb cleaner. They tend to get gunked up underneath. The screens underneath snap on and off, so you can clean those with a can of carb cleaner too.
      Last edited by dbeardslee; 11-06-2009, 06:27 PM.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks guys helped me out a lot! It's great having you guys to lean on for help!

Comment

having you guys to lean on for help!

Actually KAT did that post, and a very good job too.

mro
          BTW,
          would be nice to have more "gals" like Kat on channel 11, ow well

Comment

I did mean the XS11 forum as a whole including Kat, Mr.Bill, dbeardslee, and you as well mro. I am thankful for you all

Comment

Working...
            X