handlebars near cincinnati

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handlebars near cincinnati

Looking to get some taller bars.. No not huge ape hangers. BUt something back closer to the origionals (minus the wheelbarrow) does in anyone near cinci have some mini ape? 8-12 in rise? or perhaps a take off pair of the origionals that could be rebent and slightly modded?

Gary
    Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

Hey GK : I know that TC Bros. Choppers sells 12" apes @ 7/8 size for are bikes in black or chrome. They are in the usa. - Dan
    '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
    1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
    Rebuilt head, valves
    TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
    Tkat Fork Brace
    T.C. Spade Fuse Box
    Dyna Coils & wires
    Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
    ISO grips with stelleto ends
    4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
    Bridgestone Spitfires
    Tuned by Tinman905
    & a will to keep it.

Comment

bars

may be an option. I am looking for some cheap or trade bars to play with. Not sure if I will like the higher bars or not. The buckhorns were horrible and not my type of thing but with some work on the bends to straightne them some they might be the ticket.
      Gary King
      bobbed with love.

Comment

Gary - I've got a brand new set of Mikes XS 'early virago type' bars hanging out in the mancave. I was going to straighten them a little in a vice and use them on Betsy to get me off the tank a little more, but I'll sell them for what I paid if you want 'em. The best thing to do with bars is to have the bike with you when you're looking at them. Hold them up to the mount and you'll get a better idea of how they're going to feel. Skip's down on Wooster Pike is a good place to look for used bars. You've just got to hope he doesn't come steal them back later .

On another issue, I'll be rewiring the coils tomorrow. The SWOXS crew is coming over sunday for some syncing and colortuning and some minor carb work on Bill's machine. We should be in the mancave from 10:00 until 2:00, so if you want to bring your scoot by we could probably put the redone coils in - assuming I don't run into any unresolvable problems with them.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

im making a pair of mini ape out of copper tubing...a buddy of mine (dan anderson) has a show bike with copper handle bars and they look sick....i just need longer brake lins and im set
          _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
          1980 gs1000g "stock"
          1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
          2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
            im making a pair of mini ape out of copper tubing...a buddy of mine (dan anderson) has a show bike with copper handle bars and they look sick....i just need longer brake lins and im set
            I hope you're going to make this a museum piece and not a rider.
            Copper is absolutely NOT strong or resilient enough to be a handle bar!
            It is brittle and will break for this use. Do not go by Hardley riders say so.
            Especially "Show bike dudes". Completely different world of power.
            John
            Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
            '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
            '78 CB750F ( The F)
            '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
            New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
            Then: '76 CB550K
            '78 CB750F
            '84 VF1100S
            And still Looking!

Comment

I have to agree...

Copper is soft - I think it will bend before it breaks, but wouldn't think it safer unless it was an alloy or coated over steel like they do in cooking pots.

Ride safe.

John in San Antonio
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Gary,

Do you still have the old buckhorns? I need a set of bars for my project bike and those would suffice for it if your willing to part with them.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

skips

The buckhorn bars are gone. I would hook you up if i had them. as far as Skips I agree with the "buyer beware" (saying it nicely) I still dont have the tags updated so riding it across town may not be my smartest move. Have to see how brave (stupid) I get by tomorrow.

Gary
                  Gary King
                  bobbed with love.

Comment

With the mention of copper bars, i have a worthwhile thought on it. While copper is soft, and will bend, there is a another drawback to it. Any point that flexes a little while riding will harden, and in doing so does become brittle. That is just the way it is with normal copper. I agree with the thought that it is only god for show. I think copper on my MNS would look terrible. Just my opinion.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                    A quick death and an easy one.
                    A pretty girl and an honest one.
                    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

You can

Copper plate 'em. Solid copper will NOT work for bars. It starts out soft but age and work hardens. Once tempered it is brittle and stressed. It works good for pennys. You could not even get it clamped when soft.
                      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                      Original except:
                      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Find a swapmeet

Originally posted by gk45241 View Post
                        Looking to get some taller bars.. No not huge ape hangers. But something back closer to the originals (minus the wheelbarrow) does in anyone near cinci have some mini ape? 8-12 in rise? or perhaps a take off pair of the originals that could be rebent and slightly modded?
                        Gary
                        Hi Gary,
                        just like buying a jacket, you can't tell for sure if a bar fits you until you try it on. Took me 3 attempts to replace the rototillers with a bar that I liked. (1972 Suzi GT750)
                        I'm not sanguine about amateur re-bends, neither.
                        I'd say find the local fall swapmeet and scout the tables for the pile of used bars that lots of folks will be selling.
                        (The going rate seems to be ~$25 for nice chrome bars)
                        Pick 'em up and hold 'em. Take them to one of the "for sale" bikes and offer them up to see how they feel.
                        Gotta be careful at swapmeets though. I was sorely tempted at the Red Deer meet by a total bargain used leather jacket. Luckily for me I could zip it up or breathe but not both.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thats cool Gary. I am looking also.

Skips is the last ditch in the road in my opinion. But you will be looking up at a ditch from there. Call it what you want, but they definitely will take advantage of you if you let them. And call you every name in the book and tell you if you do not liek their price go eat crap and die and your an azzhole for thinking they are wrong. BTDT.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                          X