Engine Ground Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Ground Question

Ok, color me confused. Where the heck is the ground for the engine? When I changed the engine I didn't disconnect one, and I didn't connect one when I put the new one in, and the starter spins things up really well, but I'm concerned about the quality of the ground, and I'm having a heck of a time setting the timing, it's like all over the place, like I'm getting a ringing or feedback on the ground I'm thinking. Should I just choose a place on the engine to hook a ground strap to and hook that to the frame really well?

Like I said, it seems to be running good, and I'm not seeing any apparent electrical problems other than not being able to use a timing light on it (timed it by ear, gas milage seems good, no ping etc).
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

There is a strap that connects to one of the middle drive bolts, from the frame, just under and in front of the battery.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of this strap? I can't see where this would go, and I'm concerned that I really do need it, but I need to know where/how to hook it up.
      Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Spade Fuse Box
      750 FD Mod
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Goes from the back top bolt on the middle drive to the frame... shown here.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Wow! The wire was there, but no connector on the engine end, and it was pushed up into the frame. I couldn't find what I thought was an appropriate sized ground strap, but I went and got some 10 gauge wire and crimp on connectors. Made two wires and hooked them both up, and WOW, I have never had the starter spin over so fast. Totally different, I'll put the cheap timing light on it and see if it's working right now. Not sure what else is going to be different yet, but I'm expecting at least that I'm getting better spark now, which should mean at least slightly better mileage.

I'm shocked that it's run this way for at least a year, and I didn't even notice that it was a problem. I wonder now what else I haven't noticed/found wrong yet? Its strange how long it can take to find out what the PO has done sometimes. Still trying to figure out if I'm going to have to replace the entire right hand control to get the starter button back, it's not just the button that missing, everything about the button is gone, wire, backing plate, everything. I haven't found a way to get that part without getting the whole control, just for a stupid starter button. It galls me that I'm probably going to end up spending at LEAST $20 for that control to replace a $2 button.
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

a bit of a tip

when you go to time it next, use a second battery to power the timing light, that way the light won't pick up any variances in the bikes electrical pulses.

The other thing I have done on mine, talking about ground straps, is take both ground leads [ one under the tank & the motor earth ] back to the negative post on the battery, that way you get the best cuircut possible .
            never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
            can fly

1981 rh 5N5
            MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
            1188cc
            4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
            as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
            http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
            http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment