Its driving me nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its driving me nuts!

So about two months ago I was driving on the interstate when my right side cover flew off, as I looked bike a thought ran through my mind to simply stop and turn around, then I remembered where I was. I was so angry, I must not have put it on correctly the night before when I was checking my fuses.

Now it didn't bother me at first especially when I saw how much they were going for. But now its driving me nuts, I feel like my girl is naked and Im slightly embarrassed every where I go that her fuses are showing. It just looks trashy. but I don't have much extra money to spend on vanity...so I was wandering what are my options? What other years/models will fit my 79special? Anyone got any extras on a part bike that they would be willing to part with?

I was thinking of debading mine so I don't mind plain one's, and I cant paint them. My badges on the gas tank are literally falling off because they are probably original so I am thinking of what I want to do next...

Any help advice would be great! Thanks!
    1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

odds -n- ends

Try contacting Member Andreas Weiss:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24524

I had a warped lower airbox cover. It wouldn't seal properly. I ordered one from Andreas and put it on yesterday. If he doesn't have one already you can make arrangements to get one from the next bike he strips down for parts.

Comment

Those side covers are probably the most commonly lost item... They are tricky to find sometimes too. My LEFT sidecover fell off on the freeway too, and finding a Left MNS sidecover is tough. They pop up now and then on ebay, but always when I don't have the money for them.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

You might want to check that bottom grommet and make sure it's serviceable. Wouldn't want to see you get a new one only to loose it too.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

lost a lefty

Lost my left side the other day. Car was nice enough to run it over. (i to did not check to make sure that I had it attatched correctly and firmy before taking off.

I ended up rigging some cafe-ish type side panels until I figure out how i want to do an electrical box. The right side panel is in need of re-painting. One of the two top mounts is cracked.

If interested in putting a little work in I can ship to you for a cheap price.

Gary
          Gary King
          79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
          bobbed with love.

Comment

Thanks GK4 but I think I tracked one down thanks to someone on the forums...

Will a STD 79 fit a special 79 side cover? I know it would say the same thing as the other side, but right now anything is better than just fuses!
            1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

Probably not. The fiche shows different part numbers.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

hmm

*I know they wouldn't say the same thing*

Thats weird because Andreaweiss was trying to sell me ones off an 80 std, and said they would fit, so I thought a 79 std would definitely fit if anything...anyone else know??

Comment

Originally posted by CA View Post
                  Will a STD 79 fit a special 79 side cover?
                  Originally posted by CA View Post
                  *I know they wouldn't say the same thing*

Thats weird because Andreaweiss was trying to sell me ones off an 80 std, and said they would fit, so I thought a 79 std would definitely fit if anything...anyone else know??
                  Big difference between a '79 Special and an '80 Standard. The Standards use closed slots on the top of the side cover and the Specials use a round hole and an open slot.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

I thought he was asking about a '79 special. According to the fiche the '79SF panels have slots just like the standard. The seats a little bit different though, which is why I don't think standard panels will work. Andreas should know though, so if he says it will fit it probably will.

Comment

The 79 Special side covers (both sides) have slots, not holes. The Special side covers are not interchangeable with the Standards. They started using the holes in 1980, but on one side only, can't remember which side.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

so the verdict is that a 79 std side will not go on a 79 special....crap back to square one...

Comment

clarification on sidecovers,

78/79 std sidecovers interchange. 80special does not interchange with anything,81 special does not interchange with anything, 80g and 81 h std interchange with the 79special. They are the same cover in shape and size. difference is left sidecover has round mount holes(which can be made rectangle with dremmell) and it says "xs eleven" what I was offering, will fit or money back. You wanted a 79special cover. The 80g or 81h covers I have will fit. thanx andreas

Comment

Something to think about. With the spare so far and in-between for the old girls, I took my side cover and grinded of the bottom clip/grommet. Went to a car spare shop (VW to be specific) and replaced the clip in with a screw in. It's a bit of a nag when you need to check your fuses next to the road, but it sure as hell keeps you side panel up. I colour coded the screw with my side panels, so you only realy see the screws head when you are up close and personal with her, but at a quick glance, no one even notice it.
                            '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
                            1196 Big Bore
                            4-1 Cowley exhaust
                            750FD Conversion
                            Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
                            Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
                            BMX footpegs
                            Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
                            GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
                            Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Working...
                            X