seafoam for pinging engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seafoam for pinging engine?

I recently picked up an XS1100 Special. When I push-started it, I could hear pinging. Besides, the PO said that he used high octane gas all the time. That kind of set me to expect carbon deposit...

Did anybody try Seafoam on a XS1100 - especially for pinging problem? How effective was it?
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

Do a search you will find a LOT about seafoam!
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Welcome dontlikeoc,

Do you mean you got it started and it was pinging?
      Was the pinging between 3000 and 4000 rpm maybe?
      Or are you talking at idle?
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

I could hear the pinging at idle and at higher RPM.

I did search before posting. The threads I found about Seafoam didnt exactly talk about its effectiveness on pinging...
        dontlikeoc
        Alhambra, CA

Comment

Well,if you have carbon build-up in the cylinders,the fastest way I know to get it cleaned out would be to run the engine up to about 3000 orr 4000 rpm and spray water in the carbs while running and it cleans them out well.You have to keep the rpms up to keep it from dying.
          Automatic transmission fluid works too,but will smoke the block up.I don't know how you could get the trans fluid to spray though.I have just puored a little down the carb on cars before.
          Another thing to do,would be to go for a long ride and ride the snot out of it.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I usually use a vacuum port and a long hose to pull the ATF in the engine. A small clamp can be used to control the flow rate. On the XS you'd have to do it on each cylinder.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Thanks for sharing methods of cleaning out the carbon deposit. I will have to first get the bike to start. Currently playing with the electric. (Hope it is just a starter solenoid.)
              dontlikeoc
              Alhambra, CA

Comment

Are sure its pinging, ive never seen an engine ping b4 at idle.

a couple of other things to check, that causes
                pinging, if the carbies are set 2 lean, if the timing is 2 advanced,
                on the 81 its not adjustable, but check the vac advance is working
                properly, disconnect the vac hose from the carb port and suck on the
                hose, it should hold vaccuum and not leak.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                  Well,if you have carbon build-up in the cylinders,the fastest way I know to get it cleaned out would be to run the engine up to about 3000 orr 4000 rpm and spray water in the carbs while running and it cleans them out well.You have to keep the rpms up to keep it from dying.
                  Automatic transmission fluid works too,but will smoke the block up.I don't know how you could get the trans fluid to spray though.I have just puored a little down the carb on cars before.
                  Another thing to do,would be to go for a long ride and ride the snot out of it.
                  Had that on my 74 Torino and opening it up a bunch of times... or beating the snot of it cleared it up for me. Fun way to fix it if it works.
                  1980 XS1100SG
                  1998 KLR 650

Comment

Ditto on tarzan's suggestion. Also run a full gas tank (5gal) with 3 0z. Acetone (this is 2x norm conc.) for a snot-ride your pings will clear up after this and Tarzan's idea.
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock
                    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

I have to agree with Petejw. Make sure it is pinging before you run the snot out of it. Could be anything from a broken weld to valves slapping the heads to god knows what. Try to identify the noise for sure before doing something reckless to correct a problem you may not have. To Ping at an idle it would seem you would need enough carbon buildup to literally plug the engine.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                      X