Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all just wanted to say this forum is cool as it helped me out with my XS. it's far from standard and will not run, turns out its only running on 2 cylinders and it was a broken wire on pick up which i found out about on here. so cheers all. heres a couple of pics, needs a bit of tlc.

Welcome to the forum! I know Fred will be here soon to chastize you for the things you've done to your bike, but we're always glad to see another member here, especially one with pictures on his first post! I only have one question though - Is that green can on the rear a saddlebag, or a fuel can so you can get back around the block after the tiny fuel tank runs out of gas?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      Welcome to the forum! I know Fred will be here soon to chastize you for the things you've done to your bike, but we're always glad to see another member here, especially one with pictures on his first post! I only have one question though - Is that green can on the rear a saddlebag, or a fuel can so you can get back around the block after the tiny fuel tank runs out of gas?
      I recognize the wheels and the engine. Is that a gas can on the side?

Welcome man! Be prepared for some ribbing ( in fun of course ) about some of the mods on your bike from us traditionalists.

Comment

Welcome to the site. Glad that you have found it helpful.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hi pixie and welcome,
          the 'Bug thinks I'm a curmudgeon but it ain't true.
          Perhaps you bought the bike in that condition, eh?
          If so, Andreas more than likely has a suspended frame and a real gas tank for you.
          If the bike IS your own work, why not go all the way?
          Remove the front brakes, rake & extend the forks, paint Old Glory on the gas tank and pretend to be Peter Fonda.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 11-04-2009, 12:57 PM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

See? Told 'ya!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

If the bike IS your own work, why not go all the way?
              remove the front brakes, rake & extend the forks, paint Old Glory on the gas tank and pretend to be Peter Fonda.
              LOL

the 'Bug thinks I'm a curmudgeon but it ain't true.
              Uh huh...

That was fast Fred...(by the way I agree with you)
              Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

ouch , its nice to have a forum with a sense of humor. i bought the bike the way it is and it was very cheap . I've worked in restoration and custom car and bike building so i see both sides of the fence, those who like the vehicle in the same condition as the day it was built but i also understand the urge to modify it to the point you can't recognise it.I'm going to make my own changes to this bike like getting rid of that metal cage which carries the gerry cans on the back and putting a harley split tank on it, i can hear some of you cursing me

Comment

Hey I think the bike looks cool. But then I like things that are different. I guess thats why I own a 28yr old bike. If you are going to put on a split harley tank - like a fat bob 5 gal syle - can you do this with the existing frame that way it is already on the bike. Or do you have to weld extra tubing etc. to make it fit. I guess what my question is to you - will the split tank go on without a problem on the existing frame. Or if you can pm me is possible once you get it on & what if any problems that you had. I love the split tanks (5 gallons) & always have this in back of my mind - Thx Dan
                  '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                  1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                  Rebuilt head, valves
                  TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                  Tkat Fork Brace
                  T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                  Dyna Coils & wires
                  Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                  ISO grips with stelleto ends
                  4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                  Bridgestone Spitfires
                  Tuned by Tinman905
                  & a will to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by grimpixie View Post
                    ouch , its nice to have a forum with a sense of humor. i bought the bike the way it is and it was very cheap . I've worked in restoration and custom car and bike building so i see both sides of the fence, those who like the vehicle in the same condition as the day it was built but i also understand the urge to modify it to the point you can't recognise it.I'm going to make my own changes to this bike like getting rid of that metal cage which carries the gerry cans on the back and putting a harley split tank on it, i can hear some of you cursing me
                    cursing haha how about part of that party of people who hunt the bad ones with pitch forks and sticks. lol but it does look ok from a far a away point glad its several states away.
                    Last edited by devilschld; 11-04-2009, 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
                    1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Hi pixie,
                      I reserve my scorn for those who make bikes worse to ride for the sake of fashion.
                      As in raking, hardtailing, tinytanking and forwardcontrolling.
                      You did not butcher your bike, you saved the poor thing from the scrapyard and that's a mitzva.
                      A Harley split tank is an upgrade as it takes 5 gallons.
                      Losing the Mr. Ugly rack is good too though you may want to find a nice chrome one to carry your stuff on.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by ManitoulinLad View Post
                        - - - If you are going to put on a split harley tank - like a fat bob 5 gal syle - can you do this with the existing frame that way it is already on the bike. Or do you have to weld extra tubing etc. to make it fit. I guess what my question is to you - will the split tank go on without a problem on the existing frame. - - -
                        Hi Dan,
                        I guess the split tanks just bolt down onto the Harley's frame?
                        No reason you can't bolt or weld brackets to the XS11 frame to do the same?
                        But the XS11 frame's double frame tubes would require an extra-wide filler piece between the two halves and make the tank set-up look awful wide too.
                        One would hate one's ride to be mistaken for a Boss Hoss, eh?
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                        X