Laid down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid down

Rough morning...had someone pull out in front and had to lay her down. I slowed to about 15 or 20 before laying down. My questions is...The plate on the side of the engine that says yamaha scuffed and has a small hole in it. Will this affect the bikes engine if I run it. Nothing messed up at all except this. My highway peg took the scuff. This is the only thing I noticed. I want to get back out and ride this afternoon but wanted to check with you guys.
    Judgments prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

'79 xs1100 Special (All Blacked Out)

No oil in either side..

Check for debris inside the cover that got abraded, and throw a piece of duct tape over the hole...go ride... (after a good safety check).

Glad you're OK...Be careful...and the bike will actually stop faster with the wheels under it 90% of the time. The other 10% you hit something solid and wish it hadn't stopped so fast.
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Originally posted by Kmccaslan View Post
      Rough morning...had someone pull out in front and had to lay her down. I slowed to about 15 or 20 before laying down. My questions is...The plate on the side of the engine that says yamaha scuffed and has a small hole in it. Will this affect the bikes engine if I run it. Nothing messed up at all except this. My highway peg took the scuff. This is the only thing I noticed. I want to get back out and ride this afternoon but wanted to check with you guys.
      I think you want to take an MSF course ASAP, is what you want to do.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

I think you want to take an MSF course ASAP, is what you want to do.
        That's even better advice.
        Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Originally posted by Kmccaslan View Post
          Rough morning...had someone pull out in front and had to lay her down.
          You have to REALLY watch the caged drivers especially in the morning 'cause they see it as they are bigger than you. And, due to lack of planning and/or lack of resposability, they're probably late for work.

Comment

That sucks... Glad you're ok though. I guess this probably pushed you off the fence (if you were at all still on it) about selling, huh? No matter what size bike you end up with, definitely take the MSF course. Don't let this one incident keep you from riding though. Be careful, and take it slow.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Sorry to hear about it man and glad you are ok. The hole shouldn't cause any major problems and you can find the covers on ebay easy enough. Glad to hear that it didn't scare you off of riding.
              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Which side? The left side is the cover over pickup coils. I don't see a problem riding with a hole in that cover for the time being, as long as it doesn't rain or get water in it. The right side is your alternator. If there's a hole in the cover there might be damage to your alternator. If you ride you might end up stopping long before you plan to and pushing the bike home. If the alternator is damaged it may not produce enough juice to start or run the bike. Or at least keep it running and charge the battery.

So, again, which side?

Patrick
                The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                1969 Yamaha DT1B
                Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Where are you located? I might have a spare I could send you for the price of shipping depending on where you are.
                  If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

It is the left side. It is riding just fine right now. Does not seem to be an issue.

As far as my location to the gentleman with the cover, i live in Greenwood,SC. If someone could track down the piece I would like one.
                    Judgments prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

'79 xs1100 Special (All Blacked Out)

Comment

Here's one or 2

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=xs1...s1100&_osacat=

Comment

sorry to hear that

but glad you are ok and agree it is prob better you downgrade for now till you feel its time.

john in san antonio
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                        X