Seat compatibility with other XS bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat compatibility with other XS bikes

I am new here. I picked up a 1981 XS1100 Special Edition last week.

Does anybody know if the seats from XS1100 special, XS400, XS850, XS750 and XS650 are interchangeable? It looks like the seats for other model Xs's are more easily found and would like to find out if anybody has used it as a replacement.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

Welcome to the forum! I don't know a lot about your question, but I do know that there are differences in even the XS11 seats that make it tricky to find a swappable replacement. I know the '79 is unique, and Standards are different from Specials across all the years. AFAIK, the other XS models are all different from the 1100 in size and mounting hardware enough to make them non-swappable. I may be wrong though. Someone will chime in with more details soon.

To make things easier on the rest of us, and to help us help you, please edit your signature to include your model (XS1100SH = '81 Special) and list your location in your profile. You may be suprised to find another XSive in your area willing/able to lend a hand.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I have found that with the information from the folks here at Channel 11, a torch, a welder, duct tape, and a modest amount of cold adult beverages, you can make ANYTHING fit!!!

Bug... Im in the process of fitting a 79 seat with rear 'cowl' to my 80G. The cover is damaged on the bottom in the middle, so im going to "french" in my new LED tail-light to clean up the rear. im also working on cutting down (making it shorter) the rear fender to show off a bit more of the rear end and make it look meaner... i will post pics when SWMBO lets me into the ManGarage for more than 10 minutes!!!!!
      '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
      Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
      4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
      Windjammer(wiring issues)
      SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
      New paint/brakes to come!!
      ===============
      '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
      ===============
      '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
      Stock Pilots/125 mains
      Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
      SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
      LED Brake Lite
      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Nothing else fits

Originally posted by dontlikeoc View Post
        I am new here. I picked up a 1981 XS1100 Special Edition last week.

Does anybody know if the seats from XS1100 special, XS400, XS850, XS750 and XS650 are interchangeable? It looks like the seats for other model Xs's are more easily found and would like to find out if anybody has used it as a replacement.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi dont and welcome,
        Alas, seats from other XS series bikes just won't fit. That is, they won't just drop on.
        If you can read past Tom's avatar, what he says is true. Even without using duct tape a different seat can be put on with enough welding and bracketry. But a drop on, no.
        Is the bike's existing seat wrecked or missing or what?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          Is the bike's existing seat wrecked or missing or what?
          Good point. As long as you have the original pan, you can make a new seat, and make it actually fit your rear better than the OEM one ever would have.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Thanks for all the replies... and the avatar.

The bike came with rotted out seat. I dont see the cushion being useable at all. Not knowing the result of reupholstering...I am rather reluctant about it.

I will put off the new seat until after other things are taken care of - such as starter/solenoid, leaky petcock...
            dontlikeoc
            Alhambra, CA

Comment

Just find a local bike seat place, and they'll take care of you. Regular upholstery places don't always know what it takes to make a good MC seat. You're probably looking at about $200-$300 for a decent new seat on your old pan, custom made for your tastes.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I havent tried this on my 1100 yet, but about a year or so ago, i had to make a new seat for a Honda CBX. It too was rotted out. No foam and pan was rusted. WHat i ended up doing was this: Bought a few rolls of good masking tape, fiberglass sheets, resin, some cheap brushes (1/2 in. and 1"). I used the tape and went across the frame and seat mounting area, overlapping the tape about 1/2 the width of the tape. Did this from the front by the tank all the way to where the original seat pan ended. After doing two layers of this i started laying fiberglass soaked in resin over the tape (fiberglass cut into strips) (forgot to mention....mask the rest of the bike off or you will have **** all over it later to clean up!!!!) after 4 layers of 'glass/resin, i let it cure overnight. This gave me my "pan". Using a dremel i was able to "shape" the rough edges the way i wanted them to. I was able to transfer the mounting hardware from the original to the fiberglass pan. because there fiberglass was molded TO the frame, it actually fit better than the stamped original. I then went on a TnT route (thats Trash and Treasure) to find someone that was tossing out an old couch. I acquired a cushion that was pretty firm. Took it home cut out the 'rough' shape i wanted/needed with scissors and a utility knife. I smothered the pan with a thick layer (1/8- 3/16) of weatherstripping adhesive, set the foam onto it, then weighed it down with bricks (remember...doing this on the cheap!!) Next day did some careful sculpting with the knife and was able to purchase a seat cover for the stock unit that fit over it. I stole the blood extractors ( triangle metal tabs that you hook the seatcover material over and bend down) from the original and screwed them onto the new pan. Looked very nice and i only had about $100 bucks into it. Most of that was the new cover!!! If i cant get my 79 to 80 seat working the way i want it to, i may have to re-do mine like this....
                '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                Windjammer(wiring issues)
                SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                New paint/brakes to come!!
                ===============
                '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                ===============
                '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                Stock Pilots/125 mains
                Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                LED Brake Lite
                Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Thanks again for additional information, Tom. I like your approach to things.
                  dontlikeoc
                  Alhambra, CA

Comment

Working...
                  X