Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• middle gear circlips?

hey guys,

I am in the process of putting together another engine, Upon assembly i notices that the middle gear has teh circlips that help to hold it in place, in the pic in my manual it shows three clips, i have three clips, but it looks like four can be use, 2 being on each side....

how many clips should there be per side?
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

I'm probably the stupid one here, but, are we talking somthing in the middle drive, the middle driven gear on the countershaft?? Which shaft of what part??
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

The "middle gear assembly" with a seal on the right, and a gear in the middle. the side with the seal, according to the book only gets one clip, but it is groved for 2.....

this is within the case.
      -Pod Filters
      -4-1 pipe
      -larger jets for carbs

Comment

I've never had that shaft apart myself, but all the drawings only call for one clip. It's part number 99009-30400-00. The thing I don't understand is that you say you have 3 clips, but there is no other place on that shaft to put another clip. Only one circlip in any place anywhere in the Middle Drive unit.

Looks like this:

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

not that one, i refer to those as snap rings, the circpis lock the bearings on either side of the gear in place by going into the grooves on the bearings and into grooves in the upper and lower halfs of the case when they are put together. Its on page 130 in clymer manual
          -Pod Filters
          -4-1 pipe
          -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Ok, you're not talking about the Middle Drive, you're talking about the "Middle Driven Gear". All the drawings only show 3 of them. 2 of them surround the bearing on the right, and clip for the left bearing only sits in the lower half of the case. I'm not sure what holds it there on the upper half, but maybe the case has a design feature that takes care of that? I've never been that deep into the tranny.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

If the manual says use three, use 3. The last motor I stripped down only had three clips.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It does only have three, but the third one gets put sideways... half of it goes in the lower case and half of it in the top case... or at least that's the way I've always done it. That's the way the pic shows it in the book anyway...

Tod
                Last edited by trbig; 11-02-2009, 06:35 AM.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

And.... What are you doing that deep into another motor? Did you crater the one you just bought?

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own