One really worn 2nd Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thewright1 View Post
    Woo man, $400 is out for me, I'll just try cutting mine up. I'll be working on it next Saturday, I'm gonna take the center stand route. What's the deal with the jacks, are those only good for changing tires? It seems like you wouldn't be able to do anything under the bike with a jack sitting under it.
    I've watched how my local bike shop uses them, (they have pretty large platform ones) and they use them to raise the bike to an easier working level. They either use the center stand or those paddock stands that hook on the front and/or back tires.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I'm looking at the photos on http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...strations.html what makes the gear appear bad, when the paint is grinded off?
      1980 XS1100SG
      In the process of making her look pretty!
      P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

Comment

IT is more a matter of the corners getting rounded off. When you shift the bike you are effectively shoving those dogs into the slots on the other gear. When they gat to rounded on the corners, they tend to slide back out, but the shift forks is still nudging them in so they go back in when they can and then back out and ...well...repeat...repeat...repeat. The ole in and out thing you see. And when the more they do that the more they wear and the more they pop out and the more your screwed, or at least your gears are.

The fix is to grind on the gear to create the undercut and to lessen/eliminate the rounding over of the gear. This tech tip goes to a little more depth on the process and the concepts.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

From the factory, there just isn't much engagement of the dog of one gear and the slot of another. As DGSXR stated, the edges round off.

In this pic.. you'll see just about how far the gears mesh. Just think of all the torque.. wheelies, 1/4 mile runs, etc... run on just this little bit of steel meshing. They mesh by just about the thickness of this washer...

That's why many do the washer swap while they're in there. That gives them nearly double the contact on the gears. I posted some pics about that here...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16390

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own