No announcement yet.

what a difference a good synch makes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary - all I require is some high tension wire and the old coils. That way I can redo them for the next guy with coil trouble.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

ty ty ty

You the man as always! So I need to pickyou up some replacement copper coil plug wire. Do you have any caps? or do I need to get those as well.
      Give me the rundown so I can pickup your replacement materials as money allows over the next week etc. Or if you would prefer let me know what the price is give or take and I'll come up with some cashola for yah.

Gary
      Gary King
      79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
      bobbed with love.

Comment

I might have some caps in the mancave that will work temporarily. When you get new coils, if you get the bpr6eix (iridium) plugs you'll want the non-resistor caps. If you run the stock bp6es, you'll want the 5k ohm resistor caps. The wires we can get around the corner from my house.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

let me know

about how much cash do i need to come up with for this project total? I will get it together and we can make a plan for me to get the bike over there on the down low..
          Gary King
          79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
          bobbed with love.

Comment

A set of 4-banger automotive wires will run $12. That's enough wire to redo the old ones, and still have enough for new coils when you get them. If you want to get plug caps now, they run $4 or $5 apiece, depending on where you get them. There's a place just down the hill from you called Sport Tour that should have the NGK's.

Comment

Anybody near NW indiana with a set of guages to sync carbs? i saw the DIY post on the PVC type sync...but for the first couple of times with the beast being that far off, i think it would be easier with a set of 4 guages..
              '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
              Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
              4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
              Windjammer(wiring issues)
              SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
              New paint/brakes to come!!
              ===============
              '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
              ===============
              '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
              Stock Pilots/125 mains
              Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
              SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
              LED Brake Lite
              Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Hey Tom,

Don't get up that far north much. I am typically all over the rest of the state though.

You probably have read this already, but I use a single gage (my mity-vac in fact) to synch my carbs. I use the setup with the PVC pipe but only one gage and one line. Never found a fish tank valve that was worth anything. I am going to resynch mine again before the next time I visit my buddy Dbeardslee who has a carbtune so I can check the accuracy of this method again. Last time I compared it I checked it against a four gage set and it was pretty dang good.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Method:...

Engine warm, get a fan to blow over front of it to keep things from melting...

Hook guage to #1 carb. get reading. Hook to #2 carb, get reading. Make adjustments to equalize. Hook to #3 carb get reading #4 get reading. make adjustments. then between 1,2 and 3,4??

What rpm is a good point? idle, 1500 rpms??? 2000??
                  ===============
                  ===============
                  Stock Pilots/125 mains
                  LED Brake Lite
                  Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Pretty much, yes. I leave my adle at 1100-1200 rpm

Rememeber, #3 only changes by the idle set screw. Your bringing the other three in line with it. So I do one and two first, then three and four. Remember my reading on three and four and hook the gage up to one and use that center screw to get one and two even with the reading of three and four. Then move the gage back to verify. When I am done, I go back through all four again just to check.

Takes longer than with the carbtune or the like, but is faily accurate.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Got it. 1 and 2 make even. read 3, set 4 to 3, then set 1+2 to 3+4.
                      Check it all out.

Hopefully this fixes the slow return to idle after accel on 'Sunshine...

I just spent the $$$ on a Colortune, and right now a bit short of funds to pop for the carb stix. figured getting the idle mix set was more important that anything...but now i dunno. but this route will get it pretty close from what i have seen!! i LOVE cheap tools that work!!!! The 'soda blast' worked great. very impressed!!!
                      ===============
                      ===============
                      Stock Pilots/125 mains
                      LED Brake Lite
                      Needs paint....

Comment

Did someone say carb synchronizer?

I adjust the sync at idle - 1100 rpms is what I shoot for. For me, the colortune and a sync guage are both critical tools for carb tuning. I almost always use them both at the same time. I hook up my sync guages, adjust the sync, then colortune #1. I recheck the sync, and colortune #2, and continue in this fashion until I run out of carbs. Too bad you already bought the colortune. Carbtune.com sells them bundled with a carbtune and a carry case for 90 english pounds, plus 3 pounds shipping. That's $152.69 at today's currency rate.

The thing I like about the carbtune is its portability. All the do-dads fit into a ballistic nylon case thats about 12" X 4" X 2", so it makes it real easy to throw it into luggage or a backpack if you need to take it with you. It isn't any more accurate than the home-made guage set I made using four Harbor Freight combination guages and four Ace Hardware needle valves for dampening. The gauges are $12.99 ea. (although they go on sale periodically for $8 or so), and the needle valves are $7.38 ea. at Lowes. That gives you a total of $77.52 for that setup.

The only other thing you need is to mount them on something - it's much more convenient than trying to use them loose. The nice thing about this setup is also it's size, but for a different reason. The four-inch guages are pretty big, and mounted like they are in the pic they sit perfectly on top of the bikes guages where they're easy to see and out of the way. Not the most portable solution, though.

For a good mix of portability and nice guages, I still like this set the best -

Set comes with a nice aluminum case, line dampeners, and all the adapters you could ever want. $119 on e-bay, or a set with a plastic case for $10 less.

Comment

yeah...went to the site. just didnt have the funds to purchase both at the same time Never fails, time and money rarely come hand in hand.... i have time, but no money!!! I did get a helluva deal on the colortune on ebay. with shipping only 45 bucks. brand new. from some guy across the pond.
                          ===============
                          ===============
                          Stock Pilots/125 mains
                          LED Brake Lite
                          Needs paint....

Comment

$45 was a good deal. It's been a while, but it seems to me like I paid around $80 for mine. One of the things I like about cartune.com is that they sell the colortune plugs individually. The only parts I ever use from the kit are the plug, the wire lead that screws onto it, and the washer. Too bad they don't sell the wire separately - that would be the way to go for the best price performance.

Comment

Yeah..it was "make an offer" i tried 40...that didnt work. then 42 was accepted. 4 bucks shipping. Buddy says its at the house now. never looked at one before, so a bit excited to get BlackSunshine humming properly!!! Then i will concentrate on getting Sunshine to STOP !!!! I have to put new front M/C on and ss lines, bleed it all, then try it out. too bad weather is starting to turn crappy. not much ride time left, but a GOOD jumpstart on spring!!!!
                              ===============
                              ===============
                              Stock Pilots/125 mains
                              LED Brake Lite
                              Needs paint....

Comment

For those that want it....check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...item5635f1754a

30 bucks isnt bad either. no mirrors, but wtf!!!!
                                ===============
                                ===============
                                Stock Pilots/125 mains
                                LED Brake Lite
                                Needs paint....

Comment

Working...
                                X