No announcement yet.

Some ? about venture tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would agree that "soft" rubber like that which is used to make grommets would not be a good type to use but the plasticized rubber, or what ever it is that is used to make engine bearing seals should be good. Nylon may not like the heat but I'm sure there's lots of different grades of nylon as well.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I agree that UHMW would work very well in an engine.It wears well and is cheap.And as was pointed out it is used commonly in engines.It is also used in industrial equipment when wear is a factor.It isn't a hard plastic, it is a tough plastic though.
      But like Ivan said if the tensioner works as is in a venture as is,what is the difference in an XS?
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Don't think it makes a difference

I have been running a manual tensioner for years now and it is one I made up in my humble shop. The rod on mine is nothing more than a stainless steel metric carriage bolt. I did round the head off, make a slight flat in the center and polish it up on a buffing wheel. It rides nicely against the the metal plate on the chain guide and after 6 years there is absolutely no wear.

Probably the composition cover on the original tensioner is there to lessen noise transmission or something though I did notnotice any different sound after I installed my solid metal tensioner.

I know some of you guys have seen this before.

Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

There seem to be some concerns about the long term use of these tensioners. They certainly have some force behind the spring-loaded plunger.

Here's an idea that seems more sensible ...

You fit the VMAX tensioner and set it. The plunger is pushed out and the ratchet is engaged.

You then take the spring out of the tensioner. No continual pressure on the plunger, but a nice snug fit.

Tensioner never slips like a worn original is prone to do and no thread on the lock mechanism to strip.

I have taken the tensioner apart and there seems no reason for this not to work.

Have I missed something?
          Melbourne, Australia. XS1100RH

Comment

Originally posted by melbxs View Post
            There seem to be some concerns about the long term use of these tensioners. They certainly have some force behind the spring-loaded plunger.

Here's an idea that seems more sensible ...

You fit the VMAX tensioner and set it. The plunger is pushed out and the ratchet is engaged.

You then take the spring out of the tensioner. No continual pressure on the plunger, but a nice snug fit.

Tensioner never slips like a worn original is prone to do and no thread on the lock mechanism to strip.

I have taken the tensioner apart and there seems no reason for this not to work.

Have I missed something?
            Yeah, then it doesn't adjust. The whole point of an auto adjuster is that it's set and forget, otherwise you may as well keep the original.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              Yeah, then it doesn't adjust. The whole point of an auto adjuster is that it's set and forget, otherwise you may as well keep the original.
              Like DUH????

A lot of guys are looking for a tensioner that doesn't leak oil and doesn't rely on a flimsy locking mechanism that is worn and possibly stripped.

People are worried about replacing with these because the auto-adjust function is likely to cause wear.
              Melbourne, Australia. XS1100RH

Comment

Cant see what the issue is Were talking about a plunger that pushes against the tensioner arm,

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/showpic....%20Ass%202.jpg

If it's an auto tensioner then how much movement is there going to be ?? and what does it matter ?? You have an engine bathed in oil with metal to metal parts all over the place. The infinitismal amount of wear thats likely to occur at this point simply isnt worth worrying about, IMHO.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

The only thing that should wear is the cam chain. Now, I realize this engine has been around for years and years and some or propably most have the original chain.

Chain wear comes from the pins rotating in the plates, and elongating the holes. I suppose if you were to have tension on the chain somewhere in the range of half the tensile strength of the chain, it would wear quicker.

The geometry of the tensioning system spreads the load of the tensioner plunger across most of the front side of the chain, and so, wear on the side of the chain where it rides in plastic will be negligible. The lever of the tensioning system mechanically reduces the force of the tensioner, since the furthest point of load from the fulcrum is past the tensioner. So even if the venture spring had double the force, the actual force the chain will see is a multiple much less than that.

Ultimately, if you don't want to use it, don't. Give it to someone else, I'm sure there is someone who wants one that hasn't got their hands on it yet. My engine has better than a thousand miles on it so far and have had no complaints, other than I don't get the fun of adjusting the tensioner again every time I decelerate hard. I kinda miss that....
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

i don't understand why some people say you don't have to adjust the vmax one and some people say you do??? i have a vmax manual in my garage.. i'll have to go check it out and see what it says about it!
                    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                    8mm msd wires
                    tkat fork brace...
                    Fox shocks...
                    mikes650 front fender
                    led's gallore...
                    renthal bars
                    gold valve emulators
                    vmax tensioner
                    Rifle fairing

Comment

the v max shop manual just shows how to take it apart and test it to see if it works and then how to reinstall it. they have you putting the housing in first and then the spring and bolt and stuff. i think that's differnet than what i read on here before.
                      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                      8mm msd wires
                      tkat fork brace...
                      Fox shocks...
                      mikes650 front fender
                      led's gallore...
                      renthal bars
                      gold valve emulators
                      vmax tensioner
                      Rifle fairing

Comment

That's the only way I've heard people talk of putting them on in here.

Has anyone ever checked into any other type of automatic adjuster? I guess it would all depend on the bolt spacing really... but maybe some of you have one of these other vehicles and could check. I was looking on Ebay and saw these as just a few of the possibilities now that the Venture adjuster seems to be getting a premium price.

Yamaha Warrior adjuster

Raptor... this looks the closest

Timberwolf.. looks to be tipped like some want

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

When I was swaping tensioners on the okie SPECIAL, I couldn't help but notice, as I'm sure others did, the OEM tensioner has a nice nylon end with smooth edges, and the Venture tensioner just a steel rod with sharp edges.
                          I made a stock tensioner into a manual based on TadRacer's design, and I had the same concern about the end. I wouldn't try plasti dip as it will only withstand a couple hundred degrees and would probably melt. I took a neoprene washer (about 3/16" thick) and JB Welded it to the carriage bolt, and it held up fine. I have since switched to an FZR1000 automatic tensioner, and may try the neoprene trick on that as well, but not because I'm worried about wear. The FZR1000 plunger doesn't extend out as far as the stock unit, so a little added length on the plunger should get it closer to a stock unit and extend the life of the chain. Not sure how far the Venturer tensioner (hey, that rhymes ) extends into the motor, but it's something to think about.
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

You get considerably more/further extension into the motor with the Venture adjuster than the stock one.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If one of you have one out on the bench and can throw a set of calipers across it, ange get me a diameter, I could possibly make some delrin caps, if the diameter is less than about 16mm.

If it is bigger than that I would have to order some more delrin, since I only have 19mm stock.

Personally though, I just put metal to metal in there, and am not worrying about it much. The chain should wear out way before the track.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                                If one of you have one out on the bench and can throw a set of calipers across it, ange get me a diameter, I could possibly make some delrin caps, if the diameter is less than about 16mm.

If it is bigger than that I would have to order some more delrin, since I only have 19mm stock.

Personally though, I just put metal to metal in there, and am not worrying about it much. The chain should wear out way before the track.
                                14.45mm or .569"
                                BDF Special
                                80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                                Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Working...
                                X