Some ? about venture tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some ? about venture tensioner

When I was swaping tensioners on the okie SPECIAL, I couldn't help but notice, as I'm sure others did, the OEM tensioner has a nice nylon end with smooth edges, and the Venture tensioner just a steel rod with sharp edges.

I see the slippers for the chain have what appears to be a metal strip in between the forward slipper and the tensioner, but having not been inside there yet, I'm not certain.

I am just wondering if the new tensioner could possibly cause damage to the slipper and/or the chain itself. That nylon piece on the OEM must have a purpose.

Yeah, there is a metal bar in there that pushes against the teflon guide that the chain slips on.

It seems that this one would transfer noise a lot with metal on metal.. and possibly wear out that steel bar over time? I wonder if you can clean up the end of the plunger well and dip the end in that plastidip stuff you can coat tool handles and such with? I'd also prefer not to have metal on metal contact there.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
      the OEM tensioner has a nice nylon end with smooth edges, and the Venture tensioner just a steel rod with sharp edges.
      Yep, I was wondering about that too when I did the mod last week. I don't see it being a problem since the plunger is being douched with oil constantly. Only time will tell.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I wonder if you can clean up the end of the plunger well and dip the end in that plastidip stuff you can coat tool handles and such with?

Tod[/QUOTE]

You think that would hold up in that environment or just end up in the oil pump screen?

Comment

Yep, I was wondering about that too when I did the mod last week. I don't see it being a problem since the plunger is being douched with oil constantly.
          Bikerphil; I hope you don't have vinegar in your oil

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            I hope you don't have vinegar in your oil
            Lol, cleans the crankcase out and smells much better. YMMV
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have also been thinking about this and to address the issue, or make that potential issue, I will soften the edges of the plunger and cap it with a gas / oil safe rubber nipple cover. Like what goes on the vacuum nipples of the carb boots but it will have to have a larger profile. I'll let you know what I use when I find it.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Something is starting to smell fishy here.

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                  I have also been thinking about this and to address the issue, or make that potential issue, I will soften the edges of the plunger and cap it with a gas / oil safe rubber nipple cover. Like what goes on the vacuum nipples of the carb boots but it will have to have a larger profile. I'll let you know what I use when I find it.
                  Rob
                  Thanks Rob

As I asked before. Do you think the soft rubber will hold up in that environment?

I think a nylon tip similar to what is there OEM is what is needed.

Finding and shaping something to fit may be a problem, but I think the real task will be figuring out how to attach it securely.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                    Thanks Rob

As I asked before. Do you think the soft rubber will hold up in that environment?

I think a nylon tip similar to what is there OEM is what is needed.

Finding and shaping something to fit may be a problem, but I think the real task will be figuring out how to attach it securely.
                    IMO if the chosen nipple cover is gas and oil proof I have no reason to believe that it would not be good to go. Think about the rubber parts on all the seals inside the engine. The cap can not fall off if it's a good fit and is alway being pressed against the steel slipper guard. And it will not be exposed to any moving parts. It will just sits there offering some cushion between the plunger and the contact point. I would however not use nylon.
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

OK Rob. You seem to know what your talking about.

Let us know what you come up with.

Comment

The next time I see my friend at the Auto repair shop I will show him the unit and ask him what he thinks will fit it. He services all sorts and sizes of cars and trucks so I'm sure he has seen something that will work.
                        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

rubber?

Soft rubber and petrolium pruducts do NOT play well together.

plasticoat also will not tolerate oils or fuels continuisly.

nylon and a few other are not effected but petroliums

can you make the part on a wood lathe? should be able to..
                          if you can find the plastic stock.

good luck.
                          1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

FWIW the chain tracks in the Venture are not that much different than in the XS. So if it worked metal to metal in the Venture, why would it not work in the XS?
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I'm suspecting the end on the stock plunger is UHMVplastic, same as what's on our dirt bikes where the chain rides on top of swing-arm and also the lower chain guide. Some durable and hard stuff. So maybe those concerned may be able to devise a wqy to attach a small piece of it to plunger on the self-adjusting one........just a thought. It comes in sheets of different thicknesses.
                              Last edited by motoman; 10-30-2009, 12:56 AM. Reason: add info.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X