Ignition box relocation.....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition box relocation.....???

On my '80 G ( BlackSunshine) i would like to mount a seat off of either a 78 or 79 with the rear cover. I want to clean up the rear end of the bike by frenching in the taillight into the cover.

Problem is that the ignition box mounted on the inner fender sticks up to high for the seat to hit the frame rails. looks like i could mount the ignition box lower on the fender, behind the battery (where the tool box would normally mount...which i dont have). Anybody do this before or move it somewhere else???? THoughts, concerns????
    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
    Windjammer(wiring issues)
    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
    New paint/brakes to come!!
    ===============
    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
    ===============
    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
    Stock Pilots/125 mains
    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
    LED Brake Lite
    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Tom,

I have not moved it on my bike(s), but I have seen alot of Bobber projects here and they would have to relocate it. I think it is very common to move it down behind the battery as you mentioned.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

relocation

I have moved it on my bobber project. mine sits above the battery further forward. Any location will due if it is secure. Remember that it now only needs to be bolted or fastened secure, but also needs to have some sort of neoprene (sp?) or other material under or around it depending on your mounting location. I would be afraid to mount to something to rigid and have the bike/bumps/etc vibrate the crap out of a hard to replace part.

Just my 2cents.

Gary
      Gary King
      79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
      bobbed with love.

Comment

Working...
      X