Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple of minor parts questions (Battery Leads and Fork Seals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of minor parts questions (Battery Leads and Fork Seals)

Summer's winding down, and riding time is slowly turning into maintenance time. There's a few things I need to do (mostly cosmetic), one or two of which are sort of important.

First off, a few weeks ago (on one of my last "official" rides) the ring on the negative terminal of my battery leads snapped off. Would it be worth it to look for a replacement connection for the end, or would if just be eaiser to replace the whole wire, seeing as how it's only about 7 inches long and just connects to the frame?

Second (the biggie), front fork seals. I'm riding a Standard model, and I figure I can learn the process from a manual and this site. However, finding the actual seals (and assorted clips and whatnot) have been a bit difficult. Short of Ebay, what exactly do I need, and where would be the best (cheapest?) place to get them?

HOPEFULLY I'll be able to FINALLY get the bike 100% by summertime. It's still rideable right now, but only because a couple sections are redneck-jerry-rigged. I'd be nice to have it all pretty by the time it warms up again.
    Currently XS-less.

I'd just replace the whole neg. cable. Auto parts store should have one. I buy my fork seals from Dennis Kirk. They're about $9 a pair, the size is 37X49X8. If you're still running air in your forks, ya might want to go with genuine Yamaha seals.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

With forks on any scoot, DO use the OEM fork seals........To many years street riding and especially motocross has taught me to ALWAYS use factory replacement seals when it comes to your forks. Had mine done some three yrs. ago and that's only been the first time they've been done in 28yrs. and don't expect to have to do them again with normal use. That right there should decide for you what is best. Of course, that's IMO. By the way, mine are also air over and usually run 5-9psi with the still stock springs, which are still at specs. for "free" height.
      Last edited by motoman; 10-29-2009, 11:33 AM. Reason: info. added
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
      X