Transmission trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission trouble

So, tonight I was riding in 4th gear about 60 and the transmission sounds like it jumps out of gear, kinda like the 2nd problem. But it does it in every gear but 5th. 4th won't hold, but 1st 2nd and 3rd make terrible grinding noises, and the bike still pulls.

Any thoughts on what I need to look for when I get around to fixing this...? I have 4 other transmissions, so I should be able to have it going again with minimal fuss, but I can't think of what would cause that.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Something is making your shift cam be in the wrong spot. Your shift forks are close.. but not quite where they need to be. You might take off your shifter cover and take a look there to see if anything is amiss.

Another thing that it may be, is something I had a problem with also. The stopper plate on the end of the shift cam came loose on me. A clip came off that holds it. You can see it here...

When you shift and get a positive "Click" into the next gear, it is a spring loaded pin against this stopper plate falling into the notches as it spins that gives you the propper placement of the shift cam. If this is loose, it doesn't hold the shift forks in the right place. The problem with this is... it requires splitting the cases to fix.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ya broke it already!!???

Is this the nice red one the guys put together for you after the mishap?
      Jeezz, silverback!!
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Just as a disclaimer... we didn't go into the motor at all. lol.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Yeah....
          But it ain't the "motor" he's complainin' about... HeHeHe

Sorry, man... couldn't resist that one...

Seriously,
          Sorry to hear your scoot's actin' up, Ivan!
          Hope it's not too serious... but kinda soundin' like it may be.
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Ivan this sounds like a new problem that others may run into.I can't think of anyone I would rather have working on a fix than you and Tod.I'm getting a chatter when I shift into forth gear.My guess is I may be seeing a similar problem.I'm betting you'll have some good info before spring.

Terry
            1980 special (Phyllis)
            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Another thing you might want to check, is that bolt under the clutch that holds your whole gear shaft that was recently discussed about backing out.

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Heh, I was thinking about that too last night. Thats probably whats wrong, since I posted that it has never caused problems when it falls out. That should teach me not to open my big mouth, but I never learn.

I'll post the results of my investigation this weekend, if I actually get a chance to work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Another thing you might want to check, is that bolt under the clutch that holds your whole gear shaft that was recently discussed about backing out.

Tod
                  You should have seen what they did to the seat though!

Comment

If it's none of the above, it COULD be the same as the 2nd gear fix, but on all the other gears. I've already had to do the fix on every gear. I know most people don't have issues anywhere else but 1st or 2nd, but mine had the problem with 3rd when I first got it, then it pread gradually to all the other gears. Needless to say, I've had my trans apart way more times than I wish I had...
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      If it's none of the above, it COULD be the same as the 2nd gear fix, but on all the other gears. I've already had to do the fix on every gear. I know most people don't have issues anywhere else but 1st or 2nd, but mine had the problem with 3rd when I first got it, then it pread gradually to all the other gears. Needless to say, I've had my trans apart way more times than I wish I had...
                      I highly doubt that because of the sudden onset. Usually wear induced problems progress to failure. This happened suddenly.

Comment

Well, I have the shift cover and the clutch cover off, and its not easily fixed from there. In fact everything looks good from that vantage point.

I wonder if there is a shift fork bent. Logic would say its the 2nd/5th one, bent toward 5th, and not fully disengaging.

Oh well, the oil is draining, so time will tell.

Comment

Well, I took the lay shaft out and found the #2 shift fork to be burn and crispy. It has been worn so badly that the metal has galled and the fork has spread apart severely. That for is what shifts between 4th and the rest of the hears right?

Comment

Thanks to Tod, I have a good fork to put it back together with. I started reassembly last night keeping a close eye open for other problems. I did find an extra washer between first and the output gear on the end. I think this could be the reason I have fought the umbrella bolt coming loose so often. Also found the circlip that holds the driven gear in second to be overheated and lost temper. This allowed that gear to float adround, possibly causing extra heat build up. The primary shaft looks ok, and 4th and 5th gears all look pretty good. I really cant pin anything down as a specific cause.v I think it was a combination of factors.

As I was looking at my collection of burnt and worn forks, I had the thought of brazing the engagement pads and milling them back vto spec. Might make the forks work a little longer. I had a guy at work build them up, and when I get a minute, I will mill them back into shape. Hopefully I will be able to salvage them.

Comment

Rode to Kansas City and back, and have no 4th gear. I think the gear is sliding on the main shaft in the transmission. The splines are probably shot. It was making a sound kinda like a 2nd gear problem, now it just slips liek the clutch is shot, but only in 4th.

Tod, Russ and I talked about having a case splitting party, and figured you were the aficionado. So, we need to coordinate and start making arrangements for HOOCH.

Comment

Working...
                              X