fork swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork swap

Will the forks swap from a special (82) to a standard (80). Has any one done this? Thanks Den

Hey Den,

Plenty of Frankenbikes out there with this setup. It does change the trail (I think that is the term judging from Freds sidecar thread) of the bike a bit. Since the special has the wheel mounted in front of the forks, and the std is mounted directly beneath them. So in your case you would move the front wheel out a little bit. Would be a little cleaner if you swap triple trees also as that would keep it the same.

But I am sure there are hundreds of XS11s out there with this setup.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by dbwill View Post
      Will the forks swap from a special (82) to a standard (80). Has any one done this? Thanks Den
      Hi Den,
      like DGXSER sez, if you swap the Special's fork tubes and sliders into the Standard's triple trees the front wheel will get moved ahead which will lighten the steering which is why us sidecar freaks do just that.
      If you swap the complete fork, 'trees and all; nothing changes except how the bike looks. Swapping to the Special's fork tubes & sliders does lock you into using the Special's Weird Harold front calipers.
      BTW, you gotta swap in the Special's front fender too, The Standard fender's blade arc is in the wrong place.
      Last edited by fredintoon; 10-25-2009, 11:11 PM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Right now I'm running the Special forks with Standard trees on my 79 Standard. It turns super easy this way but gets a bit wobbly at 80 MPH. I'll be switching it back to the Standard forks soon.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
        X