Torn Carb Slider Diaphragm Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn Carb Slider Diaphragm Issues?

I tore apart the carbs totally yesterday and soaked them, poked them with guitar strings, sprayed them with cleaner, blew them out etc and am now confident that they are clean and "all" the tiny holes and passages are clean.

First Issue: the third carb diaphragm is torn. Can I ride with the tear, or do I need to wait for the news one to arrive? What is the potential damage or will it even run?

Second Issue: the brass jet screw next to the main jet on the third carb was stripped, I poked at it with the wires and think that it is clean, but what can I do to get it out?
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

I believe a few people have used "gasket maker" RTV on torn diaphragms to make them work again. I don't believe it will run well at all without any vacuum to raise the slide and would basically be running on 3 cylinders above idle.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I have read where folks have patched the diaphragms with RTV. Hell, I guess you could put a tire patch on it.

My idle jet was stuck as yours is and I had to drill it out and clean out the threads. I don't recall what size drill I used, it was just about the minor thread diameter.

It's going to need to be removed or it will sit in there and mock you.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
        It's going to need to be removed or it will sit in there and mock you.
        Drat! Drat! Drat!
        Sam Christensen

Comment

I've done as follows to remove stuck jets with success and no drilling....

First, soak it down good with some PB blaster penetrating oil. Next, get out your small Allen wrenches. Between the metric and SAE sets, you should be able to find one slightly larger than the hole in the center of the jet. Carefully tap the Allen wrench of the correct size into the jet until it has a good bite. Loosen and remove the jet. The jet will be no good anymore, but most of the time it will thread right out without causing any damage to the carb body. If this method fails, get a left hand drill bit and go at it easy. HTH
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Carefully tap the Allen wrench of the correct size into the jet until it has a good bite. Loosen and remove the jet.
            Now that is good thinking! Dang! Will try that tomorrow at lunch. Good thinking!
            Sam Christensen

Comment

A long, thin screw-extractor from Lowes works great on them too. The tip slips into the center hole and grabs on tight. Of course, this too kills the jet, and you'll need a new one.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

There is this solution. Pretty close to a sure thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW4p...item4149af8e7e
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

So, could a torn diaphragm and dirty carbs be the cause of a bike idleing well in neutral but during in gear?
                  Sam Christensen

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
                    ... but during in gear?
                    sorry, I'm typing on my iPod. What I meant to say was but not when it is in gear.
                    Sam Christensen

Comment

Yes!

These carbs are vacuum controlled, and adjust via the vacuum slide according to the engine vacuum that's created during LOAD/RIDING conditions. When the bike's sitting there in neutral there's no real load on the engine, the vacuum slides barely move when you slowly turn the throttle. But when you're riding it, they will move quite a bit to allow the proper amount of air/fuel in according to the riding load.

With a damaged leaking diaphragm, the slide will NOT be able to move up and down to provide proper metering of the fuel/air mix=poor performance!! Fix the diaphragm or get a new one.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am going to attempt to repair the diaphram, but the jet is a goner. I will remove it this evening if time allows. For the new jet, how do I tell if the current one is stock? Are there different sizes? In the schematics, I think that is part number 53? Is that right?
                        Sam Christensen

Comment

Sam,

Most of the pilot jets or mains I have seen have the sizes marke don them. For the pilot jets it is on the side underneath the threaded area, for the mains it is usually on top.

Stock pilot jets for the 80 model were 42.5 and I think the stock mains were 120s.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
                            I think that is part number 53? Is that right?
                            Yes, the pilot jet is #53 in the schematic.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                              Sam,

Most of the pilot jets or mains I have seen have the sizes marke don them. For the pilot jets it is on the side underneath the threaded area, for the mains it is usually on top.

Stock pilot jets for the 80 model were 42.5 and I think the stock mains were 120s.
                              110 stock mains outside cylinders 1 and 4, 120 stock mains inside cylinders 2 and 3 on 80 SG "Special", so I have been told.
                              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
                              X